Ledig stilling ved Universitetet i Bergen
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Causal Modeling
University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position
The Department of Philosophy at the University of Bergen is inviting applications for a 3-year post doctor position. The preferred starting date is 1st of August 2020, but a later date might be possible.
An additional 4th year with teaching is negotiable as well.
About the project/position:
The position is partly funded by Trond Mohn stiftelse (Trond Mohn Foundation) and partly by the University of Bergen, and connected to the project “Boolean Causal Modeling with Coincidence Analysis”. Further information about the project can be found here: Causal Modeling Project.
The successful applicant is expected to contribute to the project by doing research on relevant themes, publish the results in peer reviewed journals, assisting the leader of the project in organizing workshops and conferences connected to the project, and to visit partner institutions abroad.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree in a scientific discipline relevant for the application of Boolean methods, e.g. social/political science, economics, biology, medicine or psychology. The doctoral thesis must have been submitted for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- The PhD research should have a focus on questions related to causal data analysis (broadly construed).
- Applicants must have a solid track record of peer-review publishing in their home discipline and a pronounced interest in interdisciplinary work.
- The core responsibility of the successful applicant will consist in exploring the applicability of Coincidence Analysis to real-life data from her/his discipline and in contributing to fine-tuning the method to the demands of its users.
- The successful applicant will be encouraged to integrate her/his ongoing research into the context of this project and to seek collaborations in her/his discipline at the University of Bergen.
- Applicants must master written and oral English on a high level.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The postdoctoral fellowship is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the candidate for work in top academic positions.
Candidates may only be hired for one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Bergen.
Upon appointment, applicants must submit a project proposal for the qualifying work. The project proposal must be prepared in cooperation with the project manager/supervisor and must also include a schedule. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
- A good and professionally challenging working environment.
- Salary in accordance with pay grade 60 (Code 1352/Pay range 24) on the state salary scale, currently NOK 532 300 gross p.a. following ordinary meriting regulations. A higher salary may be considered for the particularly well qualified applicant.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund. A compulsory 2 % contribution will be deducted from the gross salary.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA) enterprise.
- Good welfare benefits.
How to apply:
Please apply electronically via the link «APPLY FOR THIS JOB» by filling in the CV form. The application must include:
- Letter of application, including a brief account of the applicant’s research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor’s and master’s degrees, and diploma for the PhD or documentation showing that the thesis has been submitted for assessment
- A short summary of the PhD thesis, maximum 5 pages
- Copies of higher education certificates and diplomas relevant for the application (scanned versions of originals or confirmed copies)
- A summary of the proposed project (up to 5 pages, excluding bibliography)
- A progress plan for the proposed project
- A list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- A selection of scientific papers, maximum 3 (may include theses, monographs and articles)
- Name and contact information for three referees. One of these must be a supervisor for the PhD thesis.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge. Attachments can be either in Word or pdf-format
Any queries or problems concerning the electronical application procedure should be directed to The Faculty of Humanities by email: [email protected].
The best qualified applicants will be invited to an interview before appointment will be made.
For further information about the position please contact:
- Head of Department Steinar Bøyum (email [email protected])
For more thorough information on the project please contact Project leader Michael Baumgartner (email [email protected]).
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions. Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about the appointment process here.
Application deadline: 07 June 2020
UiB reference no: 20/4865