Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
ML/DL/AI, GPU accelerated computing / Bioinformatics
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest ranked educational and research institution, with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. With its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally recognised research communities, UiO is an important contributor to society.
The University Center for Information Technology (USIT) provides infrastructure, IT services and IT solutions for both the University of Oslo and the higher education sector in Norway. USIT is one of the largest IT professional environments in Norway, with more than 200 permanent employees and with a turnover of more than 260 million NOK. We work with a wide range of exciting technical solutions based on future-oriented technology. USIT places great emphasis on providing its employees with challenging and educational tasks that provide excellent opportunities for professional development. The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to UiO.
USIT in 1 minute: (Norwegian)
About the position
A full time permanent position as trainer with ML/DL/AI, GPU accelerated computing within first and foremost Bioinformatics, but also other topics is open at University of Oslo – University Centre for Information Technology.
USIT has a vacancy for a Senior engineer/Senior bioinformatician position with a start date of earliest possible. The person selected will be working on designing training material for introducing machine learning and how to use GPUs in bioinformatics. In addition assisting users with installing and configuring software and providing support to users will also be part of the duties.
Ideal candidate would have Masters (PhD preferred) in Computational Biology, Machine Learning, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or related field. Experience in bioinformatics and/or machine learning is required. As competence in both fields are required for this position, the candidate should be willing to acquire them, if they do not have it already.
Expertise with Python and common machine learning and deep learning libraries such as Tensorflow, PyTorch and sklearn would be an advantage.
The selected candidate will be become Senior Engineer in the Research Infrastructure group and will for the first few years work within two main projects the EU project BIOINT and the Norwegian AI Cloud (national project led by USIT).
From day one you will be tasks within the following topics and projects:
- Participation in the EU project BIOINT (BIO Network for Training) with focus on developing course material with a particular focus on GPU/ML/AI/DL computing for Life Sciences.
- Being part of the AI team, covering AI/ML/DL strategy, user support, training and outreach for NAIC, Sigma2, USIT, CodeRefinery other national and international project where USIT is a collaborative partner.
- Organize and conduct training courses
- Internal and external service documentation
Most of the tasks will be carried out as part of smaller teams. Possible tasks might also For include project lead/coordination within your area of expertise. The tasks will change over time since research support is very dynamic and needs frequent changes.
- Higher education, minimum Master’s level, Phd level encouraged - can be compensated for by documented relevant work experience
- Experience with AI/ML/DL, either as a user or as an operator
- Experience or a strong will to learn how to setup, use and optimize software used in bioinformatics
- Experience or a strong will to learn how to use GPUs in analysis
- Experience at a high level with Python
- Interest in Data Science
- The ability to teach at University level
- Good programming competence
- Fluent English, both oral and written
- A well written and motivated application letter
The following aspects will be considered in addition to the requirements:
- Own research experience or relevant experience from research groups
- Teaching experience at University level
- Experience with documentation of IT-based research services
- Experience with building/running GPU-enabled applications
- Experience with version control
- Knowledge of building, installation and use of scientific software
- Knowledge of containers and/or Easybuild
- Good references
- Ability to work independently, to collaborate, coordinate with colleagues and motivate them
- Ability to access new knowledge and understand complex problems
- Service oriented attitude
- Good communication skills in connection with researchers and students, both written and oral
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
- Exercise during work hours
- Position will be a senior engineer (1181) with a salary level in the range of 650.000-780.00 NOK.
How to apply
The application must include:
- cover letter statement of motivation
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work)
- copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only)
- documentation of english proficiency
The application with attachments must be delivered in our recruiting system.
Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
Inclusion and diversity are a strength. The University of Oslo has a personnel policy objective of achieving a balanced gender composition.Furthermore, we want employees with diverse professional expertise, life experience and perspectives.
If there are qualified applicants with disabilities, employment gaps or immigrant background, we will invite at least one applicant from each of these categories to an interview.
- Assistant Director USIT Gard Thomassen at 936 74 926, [email protected]