Ledig stilling ved Universitetet i Bergen
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position within ocean technology, marine optics
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic
centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position
At the Department of Physics and Technology, there is a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow position within ocean technology for development of optical methods for effective environmental monitoring of coastal and arctic waters. The position is for a fixed term of 3 years with the possibility of a 4th year with compulsory work (e.g. teaching duties at the Department).
About the project/work tasks:
- The University in Bergen (UiB) has in collaboration with the Western Norway University of Applied Sciences (HVL) and the Royal Norwegian Naval Academy, established an education programme within ocean technology. One field of interest, regarding both education and research, is in marine measurement and control technology. This postdoctoral position will be focused on optical technology for marine measurements, with possibilities for collaboration with the Norwegian technological research institute NORCE, and Norwegian technology industry.
- The work will be related to transmission of light in water, and the researcher will work together with colleagues in optics and in measurement science. The research topics can include the following:
- Methods for measurement and/or new technology of optical characteristics in the water column
- Methods for measuring optical properties of optically complex waters, such as algae blooms and glacier meltwater
- It is expected that the candidate is willing to reside for shorter and/or longer periods abroad with our international research partners if beneficiary for the project. In addition, that the candidate can participate on research cruises at sea. The candidate will also participate in supervision of master students with projects related to marine optics.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within physics, or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Applicants must have experience from measurement science or measurement methods related to optics.
- Experience from programming and automation is an advantage
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Applicants must have excellent skills in oral and written English
- Applicants should have good command of the Norwegian language
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Research experience, ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. If the appointee lacks teaching experience, or other relevant qualifications, the employment period may be increased to 4 years. Teaching and other duties will in such cases be added to the position. The position may be extended by up to one year (maximum 4 years in total) if the appointee is granted externally financed research stays abroad.Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution.
Upon appointment, applicants must submit a project proposal for the qualifying work including a progress plan. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Salary at pay grade 60 (code 1352 / pay range 24, alternative 4) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 532 300. Further promotions are made according to length of service. For particularly highly qualified applicants, a higher salary may be considered.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these should be the the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
- Relevant certificates/references
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- Publications (as applicable)
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting:
- Associate professor Camilla Sætre, phone +47 90839804, e-mail: [email protected] , Department of Physics and Technology
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.