Ledig stilling ved Nansen Environmental and Remote Sensing Center
Senior Scientist in Sea-Level Research
The vacant position
The Nansen Center has a vacant permanent position for a Senior Researcher in sea-level dynamics and change, potentially also with management responsibility for a research group. The position is co-funded by the Nansen Center and the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research. The selected candidate shall, in coordination with the Bjerknes Centre, push forward and take lead on sea-level research from regional to global scales, bring in external research project funding, and assist in training. It is further expected that the selected candidate takes an active role in national and international assessments concerning sea level rise and its impacts.
The Nansen Center is an independent non-profit research foundation conducting multidisciplinary research with focus on the marine environment, cryosphere and atmosphere, where scientific activities are closely integrated with innovation and service development. The high latitude seas and Arctic Ocean is one of our main priority areas. The Nansen center takes active part in training and capacity building for students and young scientists, as well as in dissemination to stakeholders in public and private sector and society in general. We have an international workplace with about 70 employees from 28 nations.
The Nansen Centre is one of four partners in the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research, where about 30 of the Nansen Centre staff is affiliated. The other partners in the Bjerknes Center are Institute of Marine Research, University of Bergen and NORCE
If the candidate has the qualification and interest in management, he or she may, in addition, be offered the opportunity to lead a research group at the Nansen center and further be responsible for management and development of existing sea-level research. The research group actively participate in national and international projects targeting multi-sensor satellite-based calibration, algorithm development, mesoscale process studies and time series generation. Moreover, the candidate must initiate and maintain regular interaction and communication with the other Nansen Center research groups on ocean modelling, data assimilation, atmospheric boundary layer studies and climate research.
● Lead and strengthen a research group in sea-level changes on regional, national, and global scales.
● Investigate, explore, and implement state-of-the-art technologies for remote sensing-based research targeting sea-level changes.
● Take an active role in national and international assessments of sea level change and its impacts.
● Apply for national and international research funding and extend and develop the group strategy.
● PhD degree in physical oceanography, geodesy, remote sensing, physics/mathematics, geostatistics or within other relevant fields in natural sciences.
● Good communication skills in both oral and written English.
● Documented experience and knowledge in administrating and leading research projects.
● Experience with Python, C++, Fortran or other programming languages should be documented.
● Ability to speak Norwegian language would be an advantage, although not required.
● Good and documented scientific skills within research and development on sea-level dynamics at regional to global scales.
● Ability to be structured, curious, innovative, and collaborative.
● Capable to initiate new ideas and generate competitive research project proposals.
● Ability to initiate and establish collaboration and partnership across groups and institutes at national and international levels.
● Encourage both teamwork and individual approaches to advance the science on sea level change.
● A professional, international and social work environment
● Good pension schemes
● Flexible working hours agreement
● Salary according to qualifications
For further information about the position, please contact Director Dr Sebastian H. Mernild (+47 910 04 721).
Please send your application letter by email including CV, and contact information of minimum 2 references. Please also include copies of diplomas.
The e-mail should be sent with subject "Application for Senior Scientist Sea-Level Research” to [email protected].
Submission deadline: 1st August 2019