Ledig stilling ved Simula
PhD students in Cryptography
Call for PhD students in Cryptography
Simula UiB (http://simula-uib.com) in Bergen, Norway, has two three-year PhD positions available in the field of cryptography. PhD students at Simula UiB will enjoy startup-like working environment with good salaries and inclusive working environment, with very few obligations on top of doing research.
Simula Research Laboratory AS
Simula UiB AS is a research center owned by Simula Research Laboratory AS and the University of Bergen (UiB). The goal of Simula UiB is to increase the security expertise in Norway through research and education in cryptography and information theory. Simula UiB works with its parent company Simula Research Lab and the department of informatics at UiB. Since 2001, scientific evaluations conducted by the Research Council of Norway has repeatedly placed Simula at the forefront of international research in ICT. The most recent in-depth evaluation was recently published, grading all research groups at Simula as excellent. The department of informatics is ranked as the number one ICT research institute in Norway (The Norwegian Research Council, 2012).
About Simula Research Lab and Norway
Simula’s mission is to solve important and fundamental problems of science and engineering, with the main goal of benefiting and advancing society. We do this by concentrating on five select research areas in ICT and performing excellent research, by developing our people, and by spinning out applicable results into profitable startups.
Learn more about working at Simula: Careers at Simula
Norway is famous for its outdoor scenery, with gorgeous fjords, waterfalls and mountain ranges. Moreover, Norway is a safe and peaceful country with a thriving economy, offering a high standard of living and all the benefits of a social-democratic welfare state, such as social security and universal public healthcare.
Learn more about Norway: Official travel guide to Norway
The PhD candidates will be supervised by Helger Lipmaa (https://sites.google.com/view/helgerlipmaa) at Simula UiB on topics related to zk-SNARKs and zero-knowledge and their various applications (cryptocurrencies, verifiable computation, e-voting, to name a few). Zk-SNARKs have been become excessively popular during the last few years due to the application in privacy-preserving cryptocurrencies, leading the MIT technology review to name them one of the “10 Breakthrough Technologies of 2018” (https://www.technologyreview.com/lists/technologies/2018/).
Simula UiB is interested in candidates who have the following academic qualifications:
- a BSc degree in computer science or mathematics or related areas
- a completed MSc degree in cryptography, or related areas (in particular, theoretical computer science, including algorithms and/or complexity theory, and mathematics). We will also consider applicants who are in the final phase of their Master studies, but in this case, we require that (a) an “almost finished” draft of the Master thesis is attached to the application, and (b) that the candidate formally completes the Master’s degree before the start of employment.
We expect an excellent academic track record, including top grades. Good knowledge of cryptography is an advantage, but a lack of such knowledge may be compensated for by a demonstrated ability to learn advanced topics in related areas. Finally, we are looking for a curious and creative mind.
The candidates will have to demonstrate an excellent level of spoken and written English, possess good interpersonal and communication skills, and show the willingness to work as part of an international team. Simula UiB is an equal opportunity employer, and women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Simula UiB Offers
- Excellent opportunities for performing high quality research, as part of a highly competent and motivated team of international researchers and engineers
- An informal and inclusive international working environment
- Generous support for travel and opportunities to build international networks, through established collaboration with industry, exchange programs and research visits with other universities, and funding to attend conferences
- Modern office facilities located in downtown Bergen
- A competitive salary. Starting salary from NOK 479.600
- Numerous benefits: access to company cabin, BabyBonus arrangements, sponsored social events, generous equipment budgets (e.g., computer, phone and subscription), comprehensive travel/health insurance policy, etc
- Relocation assistance: accommodation, visas, complimentary Norwegian language courses, etc
- Administrative research support: e.g., quality assurance process for grant proposals (including RCN and EU programs)
- Wellness and work-life balance. Our employees’ health and well-being is a priority and we encourage them to make use of our flexible work arrangements to help balance their work and home lives efficiently
Interested applicants are requested to submit the following:
- A cover letter explaining the candidate’s background, qualifications, research interests and how/why the candidate is qualified for the position
- Curriculum vitae (summarizing education, positions and academic or industrial work, scientific publications, and software development experience)
- Academic transcripts including a copy of Master thesis
- Contact information of two references, including the Master supervisor(s)
Application deadline: December 8th 2019
Applications will be screened continuously, and decisions will be made as soon as we find the right candidates. The starting date is negotiable.
Enquiries regarding the positions can be addressed to:
- Helger Lipmaa ([email protected])
Applications must be submitted via Simula’s website.
Simula UiB uses Semac´s background check in our recruitment process.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.