Ledig stilling ved Universitetet i Bergen
PhD-position (3 years), Centre for Cancer Biomarkers (CCBIO)
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
PhD position (3 years), Centre for Cancer Biomarkers (CCBIO)
At the Norwegian Centre of Excellence, Centre for Cancer Biomarkers CCBIO, Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Bergen, a full-time temporary position as PhD (100 %) is available for a period of three (3) years. The position is part of the project “Defining the cancer associated fibroblasts (CAF)-landscape and its role in cancer progression and resistance to therapy" (CCBIO Program 2), funded by the University of Bergen.
About the project
The project aims to identify stroma-related biomarkers with clinical relevance and to investigate CAF heterogeneity and its role in tumor progression and resistance to therapy. Central to the project is deep tissue profiling on a cohort of head and neck cancer patients, with focus on spatial distribution of stromal and immune-competent cells, and functional 2D and 3D cell culture experiments.
CCBIO is directed by Professor Lars A. Akslen and is working on biomarkers in order to attain a better understanding of malignant tumors and more precise cancer treatment. The researchers have a special focus on mechanisms and biomarkers related to tumor growth and tumor-microenvironment interactions and the impact this has upon metastasis and poor prognosis. The research activity is organized in four programs: basic studies and animal models (Program 1), discovery and validation of new biomarkers (Program 2), clinical studies (Program 3), and studies on ethics, economics and priorities (Program 4). CCBIO has a strong international profile and collaborators worldwide. Read mote about CCBIO
- Immunohistochemistry & deep tissue profiling using the HyperionTM system for imaging mass cytometry; digital quantification;
- Isolation of primary cells, 2D and 3D cell culture, cell proliferation, cell migration, collagen remodelling assays
- Western blotting, RNA extraction, Molecular cell biology techniques
- Bioinformatics & data analysis using R programme
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- the applicant must hold a master`s degree or equivalent in cell biology, molecular biology, pharmacology, biochemistry, medicine or dentistry.
- experience with histopathologic methods like morphologic evaluation and immunohistochemistry and digital quantification is desirable
- previous experience on isolating primary cells from human samples for cell culture, 2D and 3D cell culture methods is desirable
- experience in performing cell biological assays such as cell proliferation, cell migration and collagen remodelling assays is desirable
- previous experience in integrin research will be considered as positive
- personal skills will be emphasized
- the candidate should be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others
- the applicant must be fluent in oral and written English
Applicant whose education is from another country than Norway, need to also attach a certified translation of the diploma and transcript of grades to English or a Scandinavian language. If the original is not in any of these languages, it is required that the applicant enclose a review from NOKUT whether the education in question is of a scope and level that corresponds to the level of a Norwegian master’s degree. Please see www.nokut.no/en for more information about NOKUT’s general recognition. The review from NOKUT may take some time and the application should be sent to NOKUT as soon as you have decided to apply for the position. If no answer within the application deadline, please enclose documentation from NOKUT that they have received your application.
About the PhD position (applies to university PhD positions):
Organized research training (PhD program):
The candidate must take part in the University of Bergen approved PhD programme leading to the degree within a time limit of 3 years. You must have admission to the organized research training (PhD program) at the Faculty in order to qualify for the position.
Application for admission to the PhD programme, including a project plan outline for the training plan must be submitted no later than three months after the date of commencement.
PhD-positions are fixed term positions. You cannot be employed in a PhD-position for more than one fixed term period at the same institution or have had similar employment at an institution in the region.
We can offer:
- Exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment
- Salary at pay grade 54 (code 1017/pay framework 20.10) NKR 479 600 before taxes, in the state scale. Further increases in salary will be based on seniority in the position. For applicants with at least one year of employment in a position as a General Practitioner or Dentist, salary level 56. Medical specialist start on wage level 59
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant`s research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- certified copies of diplomas and transcripts of grades. Applicant whose education is from another country than Norway, need to also attach a certified translation of the diploma and transcript of grades to English or a Scandinavian language, if the original is not in any of these languages. It is required that the applicant enclose a review from NOKUT whether the education in question is of a scope and level that corresponds to the level of a Norwegian master’s degree. Please see www.nokut.no/en for more information about NOKUT’s general recognition. This may take some time and we recommend you to apply as soon as you know you will apply for this position. If no answer within the application deadline, please enclose documentation from NOKUT that they have received your application
- documentation of language skills (English) http://www.uib.no/en/med/115526/english-language-requirements-phd-admission
- complete list of publications and scientific work you want to be evaluated
- any publication in your name
- two referees (name and contact information)
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting:
- Professor Daniela Elena Costea, e-mail: [email protected], phone: +47 48 35 26 77
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.