LEDIG STILLING PÅ UNIVERSITETET I SØRØST-NORGE
Professors / Associate Professors - USN School of Business
University of South-Eastern Norway
University of South-Eastern Norway has about 18 000 students and about 1900 employees. The university is organized in four faculties, with instruction and R&D activities on eight campuses. The main profile of the university is to provide socially relevant education, geared towards specific professions, and adapted to the requirements of the workplace, as well as to produce applied research and development.
The USN School of Business have a vacancy for a permanent posts as Professors/Associate Professors in sustainability management and management of human centered sustainability
About the positions
The USN School of Business has with effect from 01.08.2021 vacancies for two permanent, full-time positons as Professors or Associate Professors in the broad field of sustainability management.
The positions are with the Department of Business and IT, and the immediate superior is the Head of the Department. The main place of work is currently at Campus Bø.
These positions are central in the USN School of Business and Campus Bø focus on sustainability management and transition. The positions are affiliated with a Master of Sustainability Management programme and the USN Centre for Sustainability Transition.
The Department of Business and IT offers a varied program portfolio in business management, innovation and entrepreneurship, IT & GIS, real estate, international marketing and tourism at undergraduate level and a master programme in Sustainability Management.
The department has in accordance with USN vision and strategy a strong regional relevance with close collaboration with the private, public and non-profit sectors in Vestfold and Telemark County. In addition to the strong academic community within USN School of Business across its five campuses, the department benefits from collaboration with colleagues in the faculties of Humanities, Sports and Educational Science and Technology, Natural Sciences and Maritime Sciences at Campus Bø.
Position 1: Professor or Associate Professor in Management of Human Centred Sustainability SolutionsThe candidate is expected to be active in research and education within the broad field of human-centred approaches to sustainability transition through digital technology.
Position 2: Professor or Associate Professor in Sustainability ManagementThe candidate is expected to be active in research and education within the broad fields of sustainability management and socio-economic sustainability. Of particular interest is competence on the role of public, private and non-profit sectors in sustainable business development and innovation in the rural economy.
Responsibilities and duties
The candidates are expected to be professional initiative-takers within and contribute to the development of national and international networks.
As a Professor at the University of South-Eastern Norway, you will be assigned responsibility for research, research management and supervision in strategic areas within the University’s network of researchers.
The main teaching duties will be in the English language Master of Sustainability Management programme. You may be required to carry out teaching at all levels of the educational cycle within your department, and at other departments.
We also expect that you will contribute to PhD candidate supervision.
For the University, distance learning and e-learning are target areas, and the candidate must therefore be able to provide supervision and teaching via digital media.
The candidates must hold a PhD in a relevant field of study (management and/or sustainability).Candidates must document language skills in English at a professional level, in one of the Scandinavian languages as well as a certified course in Higher Education teaching methods.
The candidate must have the ability to work independently and at the same time have the motivation to share knowledge and take part in teamwork. We seek active researchers with experience of international research collaboration and publication records on topics relating to sustainability management who are able and willing to work in transdisciplinary networks.
Personal suitability for the posts will be emphasized.
For employment as a Professor, a scientific level is required in accordance with established international or national standards.
A broad and solid background and research competence is required. The candidate must be able to document advanced competence within one or more research areas.
If there are no applicants qualified for permanent employment as a Professor, an applicant may be hired for a temporary period of up to three years if the expert committee finds that the applicant has the prerequisites required to obtain the necessary qualifications within that period of time. A new expert assessment will be conducted within the expiry of this period.
For appointment as an Associate Professor, a Norwegian doctoral degree is required within the subject area or an equivalent foreign doctoral degree or similar level of competence documented by means of scientific work of the same scope and quality.
[As classes are held in Norwegian, the candidate must be able to teach in one of the Scandinavian languages (Norwegian, Swedish or Danish).]
Applicants must also document educational competence in line with the guidelines in the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts.
Requirements for documentation of educational competence
Teaching at the university shall be based on research, in terms of both teaching practice and content. As such, we aim to recruit teachers who have experience from and demonstrate the motivation to focus on the development of teaching practice and the interaction between teaching and research, in order to promote learning.
In accordance with the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts, the University of South-Eastern Norway has established requirements that applicants for the posts of Professor must be able to document skills in university and university college level pedagogy, subject didactics and digital competencies.
On this basis, it is assumed that applicants can document educational skills through successfully completed university-level educational programmes of study or equivalent courses with a minimum of 200 hours of work and that they have developed fundamental skills in planning, evaluation and development of teaching and supervision at a university or university college level.
Alternatively, documentation is required to demonstrate educational skills through a combination of relevant courses and practical teaching that are deemed to be equivalent to a programme of study with a minimum of 200 hours of study.
Educational quality developmentIt is assumed that applicants for posts as Professor at the University, when presenting an educational portfolio or folder, can document the following:
- Development in the quality of their own teaching over time. The minimum requirement for teaching, supervising and any experience in educational management should altogether have been met as part of a full-time position in higher education corresponding to a period of three years.
- In addition to experience in general guidance of students at bachelor level, the candidate is expected to have experience in academic supervision at master’s level and preferably also at PhD level.
- Active participation and leadership in the development of educational quality in the professional academic environment.
Candidates who do not meet the requirements upon hiring are obliged to meet them within two years after being hired for the position. The two-year rule does not apply when applying for a promotion.
Applicants who do not have educational qualifications of this kind may be appointed on the condition that they qualify within two (2) years. Courses in university and university college level pedagogy will be offered.
When assessing applicants, emphasis will be placed on
- Scientific and educational qualifications.
- Professional competence.
- Publication in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Teaching experience and competence within the relevant fields.
- Administrative experience and competence.
- Ability to obtain external funds.
- Research management, participation and research projects and research dissemination.
- Experience from research-driven innovation and industry collaboration.
- Experience from international researcher mobility.
- Other relevant competence.
- Personal suitability and motivation for the posts.
- Exciting and educational academic environment with stimulating work.
- Individual competence plan and good opportunities for competence and career development for all employees.
- Inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues.
- Good pension scheme and favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- Employee benefits, including opportunity to exercise during working hours.
Professor (code 1013): NOK 667 200 – 934 800 per year (LT 72 – 85). Associate Professor (førsteamanuensis) (position code 1011): NOK 542 400 – 741 300 per year (LT 61-77).
A higher salary may be considered in special circumstances.
Salary grade according to seniority and competence. The statutory amount for the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund is deducted from the salary.
The person appointed must comply with the laws, regulations and agreements that apply at any given time to the post.
The appointing body is the appointments committee for teaching and research posts at the University of South-Eastern Norway. An expert committee will assess the applications. Based on the committee’s recommendations, relevant applicants will be invited to an interview and a trial lecture.
The person appointed must comply with the laws, regulations and agreements that apply at any given time to the post.
According to our human resources policy, it is our aim that our employees, to the fullest extent possible, shall reflect the diversity of the general population. We therefore encourage all qualified candidates to apply for the post. We endeavor to further develop as an inclusive workplace and to adapt your workplace if required. You are also welcome to apply for a position with us if you have experienced periods where you have not been in employment, education or training.
The Department has few women appointed in scientific positions, and women are therefore particularly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to section 25, 2nd paragraph of the Freedom of Information Act, information on the applicant may be disclosed even if the applicant has requested not be included on the list of applicants. Applicants will be notified if such requests are not allowed.
For more information about the position, please contact:
- Head of Department Terje Andersen, email: [email protected] /phone: +47 35 95 25 92
- Professor Gudrun Helgadottir, email: [email protected] / phone: +47 35 95 27 09
For questions regarding the recruitment process, please contact:Human Resource Manager Britt Granseth Wien, email: [email protected] - phone: +47 35 02 64 08.
How to apply
The University of South-Eastern Norway makes use of online application management. Applicants to the post must register their application and CV with enclosures online via the Jobbnorge recruitment portal by clicking on the link on the right-hand side - “Søk stillingen” (Apply for the post).
The following documents shall be attached to the online application:
- Certified copies of diplomas from a university college/university and certificates.
- Scientific publications - up to 10 for applicants for Associate Professor and up to 15 for applicants for Professor
- List of scientific publications.
- Applicants who have completed their own university pedagogy course corresponding to a minimum of 200 hours must enclose a certificate of completed course/examination along with a curriculum plan or a description of the course and appurtenant topics/themes.
- Basic skills in planning, implementing, evaluating and developing of teaching and supervision must be documented in the form of a systematic and holistic overview.
- Other applicants must describe, assess and document their competence as teachers, mentors and educational supervisors through a systematic and holistic overview. At USN, the pedagogical portfolio is used. Please read more about the documents that should be included in the pedagogical portfolio in USN’s criteria for assessing educational competence for employment and promotion.
- Applicants for professorships and docent positions shall also document that the additional criteria are met by adding:
- A description of and reflection over work done to develop own teaching and academic supervision. This should be documented with specific examples showing development over time as well as a rationale for and reflection over the process and the outcome.
- A description of experience with academic supervision at the master’s and PhD levels. In addition to a description of the scope of academic supervision, the applicant shall also summarize his/her experience and identify potential are as of development.
- A description of and reflection over own leadership, participation in and role inthe development of educational quality in the professional academic environment.
- All types of specific documentation in the form of certificates, documents, evaluations, reports, etc. will add support to the application.
- Contact information for three references.
Please note that all documents must be in a Scandinavian language or in English. Any translations must be certified.
Click here to read more about the recruitment process for scientific posts at the University of South-Eastern Norway.
Each applicant is responsible for ensuring that the requested documentation has been uploaded with the application within the application deadline!
The University has been awarded a Charter & Code certificate by the European Commission, and is entitled to use the HR Excellence in Research (HRS4R) logo. The University is also a member of the EURAXESS network, which contributes to good working conditions for mobile researchers.