LEDIG STILLING VED UNIVERSITETET I BERGEN
Associate Professor (tenure track) at the Department of Economics
University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are seven departments and three centres at Faculty of Social Sciences. Read more about the faculty and departments.
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
The Department of Economics at the University of Bergen, Norway, is seeking 2 tenure-track (7 years) positions at the Associate Professor level. Towards the end of the period, the candidates will be evaluated for a tenured position as a Full Professor.
The Department of Economics (http://www.uib.no/econ) offers bachelor, master and PhD degrees in economics, and an integrated master’s degree in Economics and Information Technology. Research and teaching at the Department cover a broad spectrum of sub-disciplines. The Department is one of the seven departments at the Faculty of Social Sciences. The positions are part of a University of Bergen initiative in Economics and Information Technology.
Description of position
The Associate Professor will be expected to teach and supervise at all levels, and to engage in other tasks at the department.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- PhD in economics from the last five years.
- Applicants must have demonstrated their ability to publish research at a high international level.
- Applicants should demonstrate ability and willingness to integrate modern empirical techniques or methods from computer science in their research (for example causal estimation, big data, python programming, and machine learning).
- Personal and collaborative skills will be taken into consideration.
- The successful applicant must be willing and able to teach compulsory courses at both graduate and undergraduate level at the department.
- The teaching language will normally be Norwegian. The successful applicant will be required to teach in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language within two years of being appointed.
Basic teaching training and experience in the supervision of students at university level is a requirement for the position as associate professor. This implies completed formal pedagogical training, as well as basic skills in planning, implementation, evaluation and development of teaching and supervision. Should the successful applicant not have such competence at the time of appointment, he/she will be required to document such training within two years of the date of appointment.
Educational competence must be documented in a pedagogical portfolio which should include a documented overview of practical experience and competence as well as a brief reflection statement. The statement should primarily describe the applicant’s own teaching philosophy and an evaluation of own teaching in relation to his/her knowledge of students’ learning at a higher education level.
We can offer:
- A friendly and professionally challenging working environment
- Salary at pay grade 68 - 75 (code 1011/ Pay range 24) in the state salary scale. This currently amounts to an annual salary of NOK 618 600 – 708 000 before taxes. Further increase in salary will depend on seniority. A higher salary may be considered for a particularly well qualified applicant.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund and good welfare benefits.
- The city of Bergen – a welcoming and well-connected European city with a unique mix of vibrant life and extraordinary nature.
Your application must include:
- A cover letter
- A research statement with plans for the employment period
- Academic papers (up to 15)
- CV including a complete list of publications, working papers and work in progress
- Certified copies of diplomas for highest degree and other relevant certificates
- A teaching portfolio documenting training/experience in course development, different teaching activities, grading, student evaluations and tutoring.
- Two reference letters
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge.
The closing date is 7 March 2021.
The application must be marked with reference 2021/649.
Additional information about the position is obtainable from the:
- Head of the Department, Professor Tommy Staahl Gabrielsen, e-mail: [email protected] or phone: +47 55 58 92 21
Practical questions about the application process should be directed to Senior Executive Officer Jannicke Lervik, e-mail: [email protected], or phone +47 55 58 90 11.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times. Reference is made to the general University regulations that stipulate that, as part of the normal duties of the position and within his/her academic field, the successful applicant may also be required to teach, supervise and carry out examination related tasks outside the organisational unit to which the position belongs.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.