Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Researcher in microbiology and fish vaccinology
About the position
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest rated institution of research and education with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. Its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally esteemed research communities make UiO an important contributor to society.
The School of Pharmacy has 130 employees. We have an active research and innovation environment based on independent research in pharmaceutical topics. The School of Pharmacy is responsible for the popular master's degree program in pharmacy and has 350 competent and committed students. Pharmaceutical related research and education forms the base of all activities at the School of Pharmacy. The science of pharmacy lies in the interface between the natural sciences, pharmaceutical technology, health related topics and social sciences. This interdisciplinarity is reflected both in our study programs and in our research.
Flere stillinger fra Universitetet i Oslo
Position as researcher available at Pharmaceutical Biosciences, School of Pharmacy.
The fellowship period is from 11 months with starting date no later than 01.12.2018.
Job description/ Project description:
The main aim of the project is to test developed vaccines against the diseases piscirickettsiosis (SRS) in fish important for aquaculture. SRS is caused by the intracellular bacteria Piscirickettsia salmonis that is problematic in the fish farming of salmon and trout. No adequate vaccine is currently on the marked against this disease. The candidate on the project will be responsible for conducting challenge and vaccine experiments in salmon.
The candidate will be expected to produce lab scale amounts of vaccine, perform challenge and vaccine experiments in the disease model zebrafish and conduct challenge and vaccine trails in salmon. The position is financed by the Research Council of Norway. The candidate will work as part of a team of researchers at School of Pharmacy, University of Oslo, and at the Norwegian University of Life Science, The Norwegian Veterinary Institute and SINTEF Biotechnology. Travel and longer stays at other research institutions in Norway and abroad is expected.
- The candidate must have a PhD or other corresponding education equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in microbiology, molecular biology, biotechnology, veterinary sciences, pharmacy or equivalent
- The candidate must be certified for doing experimental studies in animals according to Norwegian regulations
- We are looking for highly motivated and competent candidates with a background in microbiology, molecular biology, veterinary sciences, and pharmaceutical sciences and with experience in challenge experiments using aquatic organisms. Candidates that have hands-on experience with methods in these fields are highly appreciated
- There are requirements for proficiency in English, both oral and written. Knowledge of Norwegian is appreciated
- Personal characteristics, such as communication and collaboration skills, will be given careful consideration, based also on evaluation by given references and interviews with the best candidates
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has a strategic ambition of being a leading research faculty. Candidates for these fellowships will be selected in accordance with this, and expected to be in the upper segment of their class with respect to academic credentials.
A good command of English is required.
- Salary NOK 515 200 – 597 400 per year depending on qualifications and seniority in position as Researcher (position code 1109)
- A professionally stimulating working environment
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply:
The application must include:
- Application letter (statement of motivation, summarizing scientific work and research interest)
- CV (summarizing education, positions, research experience and other qualifying activity)
- Copies of educational certificates, transcript of records and letters of recommendation
- A complete list of publications and up to 5 academic works that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English (or a Scandinavian language).
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications, the project description and the quality of the project as well as the candidates motivation and personal suitability. Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results etc.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
For further information please contact: Professor Hanne C. Winther-Larsen, phone: +4722857011, e-mail: [email protected]
For technical questions regarding the recruitment system, please contact HR Officer Therese Ringvold, e-mail: [email protected], phone: +4722851606.