LEDIG STILLING VED SINTEF
Innovative Interdisciplinary Scientist - Climate and Sustainability
SINTEF is one of Europe's largest research organisations, with multidisciplinary expertise in the fields of technology, the natural sciences and the social sciences. SINTEF is an independent foundation and has conducted contract research and development projects for the private and public sectors since 1950. SINTEF has 2000 employees from 75 countries and annual revenues of three billion Norwegian kroner.
Vision: Technology for a better society.
SINTEF Ocean is one of the six institutes that make up SINTEF. We conduct research and generate innovation in the field of ocean space for both Norwegian and international industries. Our ambition is to advance Norway’s leading position in the fields of marine engineering and biomarine research. We work closely with the business sector and the public authorities to develop tomorrow’s sustainable solutions for exploitation of the oceans. Our head office is in Trondheim, and we have branch offices in Tromsø, Oslo, Ålesund, Bergen and Hirtshals in Denmark.
Innovative Interdisciplinary Scientist working at the intersection of International Relations and ocean and coastal governance
SINTEF generates competitiveness and benefits for society. For more than 70 years we have used our know-how and determination to promote wealth creation everywhere from the oceans to outer space. SINTEF is a key supplier of research, innovation and technology to the private and public sectors, and has ambitions to be a world-leading research institute. Together with our clients, we develop and promote innovation and sustainable solutions. We create technology for a better society.
Are you a social scientist (or similar background) interested in working in an interdisciplinary setting, contributing to knowledge about governance and international relations, while developing solutions on climate and sustainability challenges related to the ocean and associated industries?
Then you might be the one we are looking for to our team in Trondheim
The department and research group:
The research group Climate and Sustainability is a newly formed group at the department Climate and Environment in SINTEF Ocean. We perform analyses, develop models and tools, and provide knowledge about and give decision support on among others governance, economics, environmental (including biodiversity) and climate effects. We work on stakeholder engagement within the context of the ocean and coastal economy and its related ecosystem goods and services.
We use a variety of methods like event ethnography (participation in international meetings and negotiations), participatory workshops, in-depth interviews, fuzzy cognitive mapping, conceptual modelling, serious Games, in addition to industrial ecology and economic methods. We combine all these methods with technology and industrial expertise. We focus on interdisciplinary research and use a system perspective in our work.
Main work tasks:
- Scientific work and project management, in close collaboration with our customers and partners in Norway and abroad.
- Work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Research, analyse and contribute to developing tools and models for decision support for societal and industrial challenges in the ocean environment and economy by combining technological, economic, environmental and socio-political aspects.
- Establish new projects and networks for SINTEF.
- Project development (from initiating ideas and proposals to project management)
- Communicate and publish research work and results
The ideal candidates will be able to expand the group's activities on environmental challenges and developments of sustainable solutions associated with the ocean environment and its potential for economic growth.
We are looking for candidates that:
- Have a minimum of master's degree
- Have expertise within some of the following topics: science-policy interface; Ocean diplomacy; geopolitics and governance of – and at - sea; climate policies; sustainability assessments, ethics and inequity in environmental governance; stakeholder co-production of knowledge; global biodiversity governance; maritime governance and similar.
- Have experience with qualitative conceptual modelling tools, participatory workshops, SPSS or survey method is a plus.
- Can work on more initiatives and projects simultaneously.
- Have engagement, willingness, and desire to develop a strong interdisciplinary research community together with colleagues
- Are curious, enterprising and creative
- Have good written and oral communication skills
- Are team players and have the power to implement
- Master English both in writing and orally, and preferably similar skills in Norwegian
- Unique opportunities for professional and personal growth
- A varied and flexible working day
- Challenging research tasks in a team of internationally renowned experts
- Well-established national and international scientific and industrial networks
- A work environment with skillful, experienced, and creative colleagues, 60 % have a PhD
- A good social climate, a large degree of autonomy
- Competitive salary (subject to qualifications)
- Particularly good pension and insurance schemes, welfare schemes
- Mimmi Throne-Holst (Research Director), +47 93002863, [email protected]
- Vibeke Stærkebye Nørstebø (Research Manager), +47 99010540, [email protected]