LEDIG STILLING VED NUPI
Two energy research positions: senior research fellow / research fellow
Norwegian Institute of International Affairs
The Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) holds a leading position in research on international politics and economy. We also have a special responsibility for communication on these areas. We strive to conduct all our activities with quality, relevance and credibility. We are in an exciting development, and employ today around 65 people.
The institute is owned by the Ministry of Education and Research. Our activities are funded by Norwegian and international organisations like the Research Council of Norway and the EU, as well as public and private enterprises. NUPI is located in attractive premises in central Oslo.
Vi søker to forskere som kan bidra til å forsterke forskningen vår på energispørsmål. De som ansettes vil arbeide med et bredt spekter av policy-relevante tema relatert til energi og klimaendringer i flere prosjekter under Forskningsgruppen for Russland, Asia og internasjonal handel og NUPIs Senter for energiforskning.
The Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) is looking for two researchers to boost its research on energy issues. The persons hired will work on a broad range of policy-relevant topics related to energy and climate change across multiple projects under the umbrella of NUPI’s Research Group on Russia, Asia, and International Trade and Center for Energy Research.
Position 1 is permanent. Position 2 is for a period of 12 months but may be extended. It is desirable to fill the positions as early as possible.
The core tasks will be to publish articles in academic journals in cooperation with colleagues at NUPI and partner institutions in Russia, Central Asia, Southeast Asia, and other parts of the world and contribute to several capacity building projects by coordinating, mentoring, and editing research output. These projects include OSCE, Kodak, ACCEPT, RECCOM, Climate Clubs and Negative Emissions. You will also be expected to contribute to project administration and research dissemination; to help initiate new research by writing grant proposals.
These two full-time positions are suitable for persons who are helpful, flexible and prepared to work in cooperation with colleagues at NUPI and partner institutions. The persons hired will become part of NUPI’s energy research team, which works on a broad range of international energy issues such as for example energy transition, the geopolitics of renewable energy, the climate-energy nexus, the role of hydrogen in the international energy system, stranded fosil fuel producing assets and countries, environmental aspects of the Belt and Road Initiative and Arctic resource extraction, and energy-related multilateral organizations such as the IEA and IRENA. They are also expected to contribute to the institute’s broader research environment and community by engaging and cooperating with people working in different fields.
The following qualifications are required:
- Competence on energy sector, or subsidiarily climate change
- Competence on international affairs and/or relevant social scientific theories and methods
- Very strong written English skills
- Broad quantitative skills
- Data visualization skills
- Understanding of research design and methodological issues (sampling, representativity, validity, causality, control groups etc.)
- PhD in a relevant field is required for position 1 and relevant for position 2
- Recent publications in relevant peer-reviewed academic journals are required for position 1 and relevant for position 2
In addition, the following would be relevant:
- Experience of editing English-language academic texts
- Competence on energy issues in Asia
- Norwegian language competence
- A track record of publishing in journals such as Journal of Cleaner Production, Environmental Research Letters, Nature Energy, Nature Climate Change, Energy, Renewable Energy, Joule, Heliyon, Energy Strategy Reviews, etc.
It is not necessary to have all these skills and qualifications. The two researchers may be selected to complement each other. Personal suitability will also be taken into consideration.
There is no limit on years passed since the completion of the PhD — both younger and more experienced researchers are welcome to apply.
Those hired must be prepared to work from NUPI's premises.
- Work in a team of highly motivated colleagues.
- Offices in the heart of Oslo, a modern northern European city surrounded by forests and fjords, European Green Capital in 2019.
- Support for conference attendance and other work-related travel
- Financial bonus for academic publications
- Good pension, insurance and loan schemes through membership in the Government Pension Fund of Norway.
- Pay in accordance with the Norwegian government salary regulations, (Senior research fellow from NOK 566.500 per year, Research fellow from NOK 466.500 per year) depending on the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
Applications should include a short cover letter stating research interests and written and oral language skills; a CV, including a complete list of publications. Please state whether you are only interested in one of the positions or in both. It is not necessary to submit publications at the application stage. Shortlisted candidates will be notified after an initial screening and asked to submit writing samples.
References and documentation of studies and work experience do not need to be provided before the interview stage.
Questions can be addressed to:
- Research Professor and Head of Centre for Energy Research, Indra Overland tel. +47 901 26 516, email: [email protected]
- Head of Administration: Anne Kari Bråtveit Johansen, tel. +47 994 36 762, email: [email protected]
NUPI aims to have an equal gender distribution among our employees and encourage women to apply. NUPI aims, to the greatest degree possible, to have a staff that reflects societal diversity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, regardless of cultural background, age, disability or previous periods of leave from the workforce. NUPI will accommodate specific needs relating to disability for new hires and as needed during the interview process.