Ledig stilling ved Universitetet i Bergen
Director, Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology
University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and 54 institutes or centres. The campus is located in the centre of Bergen.
Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology – Read more here.
The University of Bergen (UiB) is searching for a new Director at the Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology (https://www.uib.no/en/sarssenteret). The research centre conducts basic research aiming at elucidating the molecular basis and evolution of life processes, using marine organisms as model systems and state-of-the-art methods of molecular/cell/computational biology. Being a European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) partner institute since 2003 (https://www.embl.de/research/partnerships/remote/sars/index.html) the Sars Centre is following EMBL as model. The Centre is organized in independent research groups (8 today), using highly competitive internal resources as well as external grants. Scientific excellence is the main criterion for recruitment of all scientists at the centre. The Sars Centre benefits from having a very good and adaptive infrastructure, and in particular a marine animal facility. The Centre is located at the UiB science campus of Marineholmen, in the city of Bergen with direct access to the sea. The UiB departments of Biosciences and Informatics are located in immediate vicinity.
The Sars Centre Director is the executive officer in charge of coordinating the research, funds and the personnel working at the Sars Centre (staff and students). The Director is assisted by an administration with competence in finances, personnel, communication and outreach. An international Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) is set up to provide guidance in scientific matters, including group leader recruitment, group evaluations and research strategy. The Director is expected to actively promote and maximize the interactions and collaboration with EMBL.
The assignment as Director will initially be appointed for a term of 5 years with possibility of renewal. Applicants should have the qualification of professor or equivalent allowing transfer to other departments at UiB after her/his term as Director at the Sars Centre.
Work tasks and qualifications:
- The Director is the executive officer in charge of coordinating the research, funds and the personnel working at the Sars Centre.
- The Director is responsible for attracting funding for the whole centre, beyond the research grants obtained by individual group leaders.
- The Director should be a molecular biologist/geneticist with excellent scientific reputation, and lead his/her own group on research within the scientific scope of the Sars Centre.
- She/he should have experience with managing a multidisciplinary scientific team, and possess the energy, enthusiasm and innovative thinking necessary to lead an ambitious and dynamic centre towards a common goal.
- The Director is expected to actively promote and maximize the interactions and collaboration with EMBL.
- The Director is expected to harmoniously cooperate with departments at UiB and external institutions.
- Applicants should have the qualification of professor or equivalent allowing transfer to other departments at UiB after her/his term as Director at the Sars Centre.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits.
Your application must include:
- Letter of motivation, which includes a vision for further development of the centre (not exceeding 2 pages)
- Research statement for own group (not exceeding 5 pages)
- Short curriculum vitae
- List of up to 20 most significant publications
- Three names of references
To receive full consideration, the application and appendices with certified translations into English must be submitted by 21 May 2019 at Jobbnorge.
Enquiries about the position should be directed to the:
- Sars Centre Director Daniel Chourrout ([email protected], tlf +47 90 89 10 44),
- Sars Centre Head of Administration ([email protected], tlf +47 92 06 79 47) or
- UiB Rector Dag Rune Olsen ([email protected])
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.