HANDELSHØYSKOLEN BI har en ledig spennende stilling!
Head of Department - Data Science and Analytics
BI Norwegian Business School
BI Norwegian Business School is ranked among the top business schools in Europe combining internationally recognized research and a wide range of educational offerings from bachelor to master and doctoral degree programmes as well as executive programmes. BI’s mission is to build the knowledge economy by empowering people and improving business. BI has 20 000 students, more than 300 000 alumni, and a number of academic and business partnerships and networks both nationally and internationally. BI holds the three most prestigious international quality accreditations – AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA. BI is organised as an independent foundation whose purpose is teaching and research. All profits are used to strengthen BI's academic- and learning environment.
At the Department of Data Science and Analytics, we have a vacant position as Head of Department (HoD) for a fixed term period of four years. The Head of Department reports to the Provost for Research and Academic Resources.
The HoD is a member of the Provost’s management team, the President’s extended management group and is expected to participate in committees such as the Senate, Programme Committees and other committees set up in order to reach BI’s strategic goals.
About the Department
The Department of Data Science and Analytics is a new academic department at BI Norwegian Business School. The department is one of nine departments at BI, and it will attract capacities with a background in machine learning, statistical learning, and/or artificial intelligence, including their applications.
The aim of the new department is to attract and retain researchers with the ability to produce both applied and theoretical research in data science, aimed at publications in top or near-top field journals. The department will contribute effectively to teaching, supervision, as well as research projects. The department will also create a single point of contact for the context-specific departments currently at BI to obtain, coordinate and collaborate cutting-edge knowledge on advanced data science.
Together with Simula Research Laboratory, BI has also established a research center in data science, currently referred to as [email protected], with the purpose to facilitate academic collaboration at BI, and with external partners. The research centre is located at the Department of Data Science and Analytics.
Goals and responsibilities for the position
The HoD in this position will have a key role in the creation and further development of the brand-new Department of Data Science and Analytics. The HoD is expected to show excellent leadership skills, be able to set goals and strategically work towards both BI’s and the department’s goals. The HoD has the academic, financial, and administrative responsibility for the activities within the department. He/she is responsible for recruitment, allocation of resources and the development of relevant faculty on all campuses. The HoD is responsible for building a good and professional work environment and will also be responsible for the follow-up of faculty in line with BIs Quality Assurance System.
Main tasks will include:
- Set goals for the academic development of the new department and means to reach those goals.
- Appointing and developing of world-class faculty with significant impact on international research, student learning and business practice, in line with BI’s strategy.
- Develop research-based attractive academic programmes and further develop existing programmes in close cooperation with the Deans.
- Implementing effective teaching practices and student-oriented learning design to secure student learning outcome and provide inspiring learning experiences.
- Contribute to the development of cooperation with excellent international academic environments and institutions.
- Increasing external funding for research activities, initiate and develop research centers in line with BI’s policy.
We are looking for a person with:
- A scientific position, preferably as professor, with a relevant Ph.D. in data science or related fields.
- Excellent leaderships skills and the ability to motivate others, preferably with a documented experience from the higher education sector.
- Ability to work systematically towards goals and lead a team.
- Enthusiasm for new challenges.
In addition, we will emphasize:
- Excellent understanding of leadership in the higher education sector in the context of academic freedom.
- Motivating leadership style with focus on cooperation, involvement, dialogue, and a strong sense of responsibility.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build networks, establish trust both internally and externally.
- Management style stimulating to good results and ensuring a good working environment.
The terms for Head of Department will be in accordance with BI practice.
External applicants will be entitled to a permanent faculty position after ending the fixed term period.
Qualified applicants will be invited for an interview and may also be invited to a screening process conducted by an external recruitment agency. BI Norwegian Business School reserves the right not to hire applicants, who are academically qualified but not fulfill other requirements for the position.
Questions concerning the vacancy may be directed to Provost Hilde C. Bjørnland phone + 47 46 41 07 67, or email: [email protected]
Applications are sent electronically by using the button ‘send application’ by the deadline of 1st January 2021. Starting date upon agreement, preferably early 2021.
Hilde C. Bjørnland, +47 46 41 07 67
COMPANY HOMEPAGE: www.bi.no