LEDIG STILLING VED UNIVERSITETET I AGDER
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in ICT - Artificial Intelligence
University of Agder
The University of Agder has more than 1500 employees and almost 14 000 students. This makes us one of the largest workplaces in Southern Norway. Our staff research, teach and disseminate knowledge from a variety of academic fields. Co-creation of knowledge is our common vision. We offer a broad range of study programmes in many fields. We are situated at two modern campuses in Kristiansand and Grimstad respectively.
We are an open and inclusive university marked by a culture of cooperation. The aim of the university is to further develop education and research at a high international level.
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in ICT - Artificial Intelligence powered Smart Sensing and Communications for Autonomous Systems
About the position
A 100% position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Engineering and Science as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in ICT, affiliated to the Department of Information and Communication Technology, for a period of two years. The position is located, at Campus Grimstad. The starting date is as soon as possible or to be negotiated with the Faculty.
The Post-Doctoral Research Fellow will be part of the Autonomous and Cyber-Physical Systems Research Group (ACPS Research Group). The expertise of the researchers in the Group spans multiple areas such as sensors and signal processing, sensor fusion, machine learning, artificial intelligence, telecommunications, signal processing, optimization, smart electronic systems, embedded systems, autonomous sensor systems and autonomous cyber-physical systems covering wide range of theoretical and applied research areas. The Group is in rapid expansion, having at present 3 full time PhD students, 4 external PhD students, 1 post-doc, 12 master students and several exchange students and visiting researchers working on cutting edge research areas of smart sensing and communications in autonomous and cyber-physical systems. The Group has strong active collaborations nationally and internationally.
The Post-Doctoral position focuses on applied research areas of smart sensing and communications for autonomous systems. Advanced data analytics including smooth data pre-treatment, handling and AI. Real-time sensing, sensor technology and soft sensors, communication network intelligence, robotics for autonomous systems. The research will be focused in the integration and processing of sensors data from various sensors such as automotive cameras, LiDARs, RADARs, Thermal cameras for autonomous systems. Spectrum sensing, spectrum cartography, spectrum cognizant communications, low-latency communications, UAV-UAV communications, UAV-Ground Station communications, and particularly wireless prototyping and testbed design using wireless communications modules such as universal software radio peripherals (USRPs), software-defined radios (SDRs), long and short range wireless communications modules integrated with several ultra-low power sensors and real UAVs and robots. It is also expected that post-doc actively participates in writing research proposals.
- PhD degree in a related area (e.g. Communications Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Control Systems Engineering, Aeronautics Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Information and Communication Technology, Computer Science). Recent graduates with industrial experience are encouraged to apply.
- Background and/or experience in some of the following areas of interest:
- Machine learning and/or artificial intelligence.
- Experience with sensors such as automotive cameras, LiDARs, RADARs and Thermal cameras.
- Sensor fusion techniques.
- Wireless communications.
- Experience UAVs/Drones Traffic Management Systems.
- Solid Experience with wireless communication modules such as mote-like IoT devices, Software Defined Radios (SDRs), Universal Software Radio Peripherals (USRPs).
- Programming in Python, micro Python, C/C++, Labview, Labview Communications, GNU Radio, MATLAB, and/or Java.
- Experience with ROS and flight controllers such as pixhawk.
- Experience with RF measurements and Testbed setup.
- Circuit design using FPGAs (LabView, Verilog or VHDL).
- Cognitive radio, dynamic spectrum access, and spectrum sensing.
- Simulation of network protocols and implementation in real network scenarios.
- Linear algebra, calculus, and optimization.
- (Statistical) signal processing and/or statistics.
- UAVs / robots control, localization and navigation.
Further provisions relating to the positions as Post-doctoral Research Fellows can be found in the Regulations Concerning Terms and Conditions of Employment for the post of Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Research Fellow, Research Assistant and Resident.
- Quick learner, motivated and dedicated to research
- Strong analytical, experimental and measurement skills
- Team player, and be able to work independently depending upon the situations
- Good communication and documentation skills
Personal suitability, good teamwork skills, inventiveness, and a proactive approach, will be emphasized in the evaluation as well as relevant practical experience. The candidate will be expected to contribute to an active research community that promotes the personal and professional growth of the candidate. The position places great demands on the applicant’s capacity for independent goal-oriented work, ability to concentrate and attention to detail.
- Professional development in a large, exciting and socially influential organisation
- A positive, inclusive and diverse working environment
- Modern facilities and a comprehensive set of welfare offers
- Membership of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
The position is remunerated according to the State Salary Scale, salary plan 17.510, code 1352 Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, NOK 563 900 – 626 100 gross salary per year. Higher salary grades may be considered for particularly well-qualified applicants. A compulsory pension contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund is deducted from the pay according to current statutory provisions.
UiA is an open and inclusive university. We believe that diversity enriches the workplace and makes us better. We, therefore, encourage qualified candidates to apply for the position independent of gender, age, cultural background, disability or an incomplete CV.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
The successful applicant will have rights and obligations in accordance with the current regulations for the position, and organisational changes and changes in the duties and responsibilities of the position must be expected. The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Appointment is made by the University of Agder’s Appointments Committee for Teaching and Research Positions.
Short-listed applicants will be invited for interview. With the applicant’s permission, UiA will also conduct a reference check before appointment. More about the employment process.
In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act § 25 (2), applicants may request that they are not identified in the open list of applicants. The University, however, reserves the right to publish the names of applicants. Applicants will be advised of the University’s intention to exercise this right.
The application and any necessary information about education and experience (including diplomas and certificates) are to be sent electronically. Use the link "Apply for this job".
The following documentation must be uploaded electronically:
- CV with a complete list of scientific publications
- Doctoral thesis or link
- Up to 5 representative publications or links
- A description of the applicant’s research interests, the relevance of your expertise to the advertised position and a preliminary work plan
The applicant is fully responsible for submitting complete digital documentation before the closing date. All documentation must be available in English or in a Scandinavian language.
Application deadline: 15.10.22
For questions about the position:
- Professor Linga Reddy Cenkeramaddi, tel. +47 37 23 34 36, e-mail [email protected]
- Head of the Department Folke Haugland, tel. +47 37 23 32 20, e-mail [email protected]
For questions about the application process:
- HR Advisor Maren Tofte Røisland, tel. +47 37 23 34 55, e-mail [email protected]