Scientific Integration and Data Officer (SIDO)
The SIOS (Svalbard Integrated Arctic Earth Observing System) consortium coordinate state-of-the-art research infrastructure and observing capacity, owned by the members, in order to foster excellent environmental and climate change research in the Svalbard region. The SIOS Knowledge Centre (SIOS-KC), located in Longyearbyen, is the central hub.
SIOS Svalbard AS, a limited company fully owned by UNIS AS, is the legal entity for the SIOS consortium and the formal employer. The SIOS consortium consists of 25 international institutions with research activities in and around Svalbard. The work place will be the SIOS Knowledge Centre (SIOS-KC), located in the Svalbard Science Centre in Longyearbyen, Norway. SIOS-KC has currently a staff of 6 people and its administration and HR is supported by the University Centre in Svalbard (www.unis.no).
About the position
SIDO will be part of the SIOS-KC focusing on optimisation of SIOS RI, harmonising data for multidisciplinary scientific usage of data products and identifying knowledge gaps. SIDO will be the link between the scientific research community and the SIOS data management system (SDMS), to ensure that data management solutions are developed according to the user needs. SIDO will thus facilitate that data services are tailored to foster the scientific optimisation of the distributed multidisciplinary RI owned by the SIOS member institutions.
SIDO will closely collaborate with data managers from ongoing large projects associated with SIOS, like Nansen Legacy (https://arvenetternansen.com/) and GCI_Cusp (https://www.andoyaspace.no/the-grand-challenge-initiative/).
SIDO is expected to follow the scientific progress and discussion in the field of Arctic Earth System Science (ESS) and will be responsible for planning and arranging workshops and training events organised by SIOS. SIDO will take part in preparation and management of externally funded projects supporting the further development of SIOS RI. Furthermore, SIDO takes part in representing SIOS in international scientific programs and initiatives. The position might be given other tasks in certain periods and reports to the SIOS director.
The applicant should have:
- Postgraduate University degree (preferably Ph.D.) in a natural science field relevant to the SIOS observing system
- International expertise in the field of Arctic earth system science
- Experience in the field of research infrastructures
- Good collaboration and communication skills including good oral and written English
- Proven project management experience
- Experience in acquiring external funding
- Knowledge of the European Union and other funding tool is an asset
- Experience with one or more of the topics listed here is considered as an asset:
- data management procedures, including life cycle management and publication
- distributed data management techniques
- data citation tools and practices
- data analysis and tools in the areas of observations, simulations and remote sensing
- scientific programming
We welcome applications from structured, result oriented and creative team players with an innovative and problem-solving attitude. Personal attributes of the successful candidate are essential. It is an advantage to have knowledge about research activities in Svalbard.
Selection and appointment
A committee will evaluate the qualifications of the applicants. Based on the report, the top ranked person(s) will be invited for an interview. The appointment will be made based on the recommendation from the evaluation committee. As SIOS would like to increase the percentage of females in academic positions, women are especially invited to apply.
ApplicationInquiries about this position may be directed to the:
- Director of SIOS Heikki Lihavainen, email: [email protected], phone +47 476 48 242
Apply online on www.jobbnorge.no
In the end of the form, please attach your curriculum vitae and education certificates. The committee may ask for further documentation of the education history and former work experience described by the applicant.
You can request to have your application kept from public access cf. the open files act § 25. The request must be explained. SIOS will determine if the application will be kept from public access or not, based on the explanation and the regulations from the open files act. If the application will not be accepted, the candidate will be contacted.
- A fixed term position ending 31.12.2021, starting as soon as possible
- Multi-disciplinary, international, and fascinating professional environment with flexible working hours
- Free arrival passage for you and your family, and relocation expenses associated with initiation of the engagement according to applicable regulation
- A fixed annual refund of expenses for trip related to vacation for you and your family
- Membership in the Norwegian Public Pension Fund
All salaries are set in accordance with the Norwegian Government’s University salary scale. Position is set to Senior adviser level in which a gross salary normally within the scale of 60 (517 300) - 72 (649 800) is offered. The salaries are depending on experience/seniority and special cases a higher salary step can be considered. As resident of Svalbard, an annual allowance of NOK 34 560 (Svalbardtillegg, "Arctic compensation") will be added to staff salaries. A social security contribution of 2 per cent to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund will be deducted from the salary. Income tax on Svalbard is 8 percent, plus 8.2 per cent toward National Insurance coverage.