Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Biogeochemistry
About the position
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest rated institution of research and education with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. Its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally esteemed research communities make UiO an important contributor to society.
Department of Biosciences (IBV) is one of nine departments at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Research in the department is organised in five sections covering topics within biochemistry, molecular biology, physiology, cell biology, genetics,
aquatic biology, toxicology, ecology, and evolutionary biology. Education across these topics is offered for around 380 bachelor, 170 master, and 75 PhD students. With 52 permanent professors/associate professors, post-docs, researchers, technical, and administrative personnel, the Department has a total staff of 340 from more than 30 different countries. The Department aims to maintain high international standards within both research and teaching. The new bachelor program in bioscience is the first of its kind to include programming and computational modelling as core elements.
Flere stillinger fra Universitetet i Oslo
A 3 (-4) year position as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow is available at the Centre for BioGeoChemistry in the Anthropocene from August 2019 onwards.
The appointment is a fulltime position and is for a period of either 3 years (10% of which is devoted to required duties), or up to four years (25 % of which is devoted to required duties, usually in the form of teaching activities).
No one can be appointed for more than one Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Oslo.
Starting date no later than 01.10.2019.
The position is affiliated to the recently established Centre for BioGeoChemistry in the Anthropocene (CBA). The CBA is a collaboration between the Departments of Biosciences, Chemistry and Geosciences at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. The centre has a core staff of ca 12 faculty members (employed at their respective departments) and a number of PhDs and postdocs.
Main scientific activities of the CBA relate to environmental effects of climate change, including biogeochemical cycles of elements, water and energy and to ecosystem responses and feedbacks. We aim at linking changes in atmospheric drivers to terrestrial, freshwaters and coastal zone responses and their respective feedbacks to the atmosphere. Changes in concentrations and fluxes of greenhouse gases, organic carbon, key elements (like N, P, Ca and Fe) are studies at the atmosphere-land-water boundaries. Studies encompass both field monitoring and experiments as well as numeric modelling, and the CBA also teach joint courses in biogeochemistry.
This advertised postdoc position will conduct research on: 1) large datasets on nutrient fluxes and climate change responses in Nordic catchments (e.g. existing Nordic databases); 2) on environmental and climate system variables (e.g. meteorological, hydrological and ecosystem data); and/or 3) biogeochemical processes governing effects on mobility, transport, fate and effect on key elements.
We seek a highly motivated candidate who will work interdisciplinary in close collaborations with professors and permanent staff at the Centre as well as the group of PhDs and postdocs.
Postdoctoral fellows who are appointed for a period of four years are expected to acquire basic pedagogical competency in the course of their fellowship period within the duty component of 25 %.
The main purpose of a postdoctoral fellowship is to provide the candidates with enhanced skills to pursue a scientific top position within or beyond academia. To promote a strategic career path, all postdoctoral research fellows are required to submit a professional development plan no later than one month after commencement of the postdoctoral period.
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has a strategic ambition of being a leading research faculty. Candidates for these fellowships will be selected in accordance with this, and expected to be in the upper segment of their class with respect to academic credentials.
- Applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in a scientific field relevant for Biogeochemistry. Doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the closing date. Only applicants with an approved doctoral thesis and public defence are eligible for appointment.
- The candidate should be competent in statistics and handling of large datasets (data mining), preferably also programming and machine learning
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English
- Documented ability to write scientific manuscripts (one or more first author papers from Ph.D. and postdoctoral studies will be highly valued)
- Ability to operate as a team player in a multi-disciplinary environment.
The following qualifications will be considered and advantage in the assessment of the applicants:
- Knowledge of remote sensing
- Experience in applying machine learning to big data problems
We are seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic and hard-working candidate with the ambition to gain new insights and publish papers in leading, international journals. Applicants must show good interpersonal skills and be willing to work in close collaboration with the project PIs and other members of the project team, as well as have the ability to work independently.
- Salary NOK 515 200 – 597 400 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (position code 1352)
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement
- Professionally stimulating working environment
- Vibrant international academic environment
- Postdoctoral development programs
- Oslo’s family-friendly surroundings with their rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include
- Cover letter
- CV (summarizing education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activity)
- Copies of educational certificates, academic transcript of records and letters of recommendation
- A complete list of publications and up to 5 academic works that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- A brief account (one page, as a separate file) of the applicant’s interest and motivation for applying for the position, including a brief description on how the applicant envisions his/her experience could be used to address the project goal
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English (or a Scandinavian language).
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications and the quality of the project as well as the candidates motivation and personal suitability. Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.It is expected that the successful candidate will be able to complete the project in the course of the period of employment.
Please see the guidelines and regulations for appointments to Postdoctoral fellowships at the University of Oslo.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results etc.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
For further information please contact:
- Dag Hessen, phone: +47 22854553, e-mail: [email protected] ,
- Frode Stordal, phone: +47-22855204, email: [email protected] or
- Rolf David Vogt, phone: +47-22855696, email: [email protected]
For questions regarding the recruitment system please contact: HR-officer Nina Holtan, phone: +47 22854424, e-mail: [email protected]