Ledig stilling ved NIVA
PhD Student Position in Ecotoxicology and Risk Assessment
Norwegian Institute for Water Research
The Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA) is Norway's leading research institute for the aquatic environment, working across a wide range of environmental, climate and resource issues. Our high quality research is characterised by its relevance, and its holistic and interdisciplinary approach, combining research with monitoring, assessment, problem solving and consulting. The NIVA group has approximately 400 employees and is headquartered in Oslo, with branches in Bergen, Grimstad, Hamar and Copenhagen, together with a marine research station in Drøbak, and subsidiaries in Tromsø, Chile and China
The Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA) is offering a PhD Student position entitled:“ANTIfoulants, VEterinary MediciNal Products and Organic Material can affect marine sediment organisms, but to what extent? ANTIVENOM”.
We are looking for a highly motivated PhD candidate with an excellent academic background in ecotoxicology and environmental sciences who seeks an opportunity to conduct research in an international and collaborative research group.
This PhD will be a part of an interdisciplinary effort that is to develop new tools to be able to determine the combined effects of stressors resulting from aquaculture on the marine sediment environment.
The main objectives
- To develop new long term sublethal and chronic sediment toxicity bioassays for the effects assessment of aquaculture practices on sediment dwelling organisms.
- To investigate realistic effects of the selected substances used in aquaculture in isolation and in combination on the newly developed sediment bioassays and the use of multi-species, ecosystem level microcosm experiments as a means of validation.
- To use effect directed analysis approaches to elucidate the main causative agents responsible for observed impacts in and around fish farms.
- To make recommendations to improve hazard and risk assessment approaches for chemicals used in aquaculture to feed into updates to existing regulatory guidelines and frameworks in Norway and Europe.
Qualifications and experience
- Experience with planning and execution of scientific experiments, especially ecotoxicity testing with marine sediment organisms.
- Experience and knowledge in performing bioassays and statistical analysis.
- Hold a master’s degree at grade B or above in (eco)toxicology, marine biology or similar fields.
- Proficiency in oral and written English. Knowledge of Norwegian is advantageous but not a prerequisite
- A driver´s license
The candidate needs to be proactive, independent, creative and cooperative, with a will to work in an international and multicultural environment in a broad scientific research group. Good communication and inter-personal relations skills, as well ability to conduct good teamwork and sharing of resources are important.
- Exciting and stimulating tasks in a leading national water science research institute with great social significance
- To be part of a network of national and international researchers
- An opportunity for professional and personal development
- A multicultural, social and creative work environment
- Good pension, welfare and insurance schemes, and competitive wages
Webcruiter ID: 4238011635
- Adam Lillicrap (Research manager), +47 982 15 407
- Ailbhe Lisette Macken (Research manager), +47 982 15 472