LEDIG STILLING VED NIVA
Full-stack Developers (Miljøinformatikk)
Norwegian Institute for Water Research
The Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA) is Norway's leading research institute for the aquatic environment, working across a wide range of environmental, climate and resource issues. Our high quality research is characterised by its relevance, and its holistic and interdisciplinary approach, combining research with monitoring, assessment, problem solving and consulting. The NIVA group has approximately 400 employees and is headquartered in Oslo, with branches in Bergen, Grimstad, Hamar and Copenhagen, together with a marine research station in Drøbak, and subsidiaries in Tromsø, Chile and China
The Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA) is Norway’s leading institute for applied research on marine and freshwaters. The institute has world-class, multidisciplinary expertise across a wide array of environmental, climatic and resource-related fields. We combine research, monitoring, evaluation, problem-solving and advisory services at international, national and local levels.
NIVA has a broad set of water and water-related environmental data from monitoring programs, field studies, modelling and samples analyzed in NIVA’s laboratories. The data include physical, chemical and biological quantities.
NIVA’s section for Environmental Data Science is working with the “digitalization of environmental research” in Norway. We are currently tasked with developing a new and modern data platform including capabilities for delivering future digital services, as well as delivering projects driven by advanced use of technologies like autonomous sensors (1), surface, subsurface (2) and aerial drones (3), to mention a few. The goal is to bridge the past, present and future when it comes to how we conduct environmental research and by doing so we strive to help our society become more sustainable.
As a part of NIVA’s ongoing efforts to develop new data platforms and digital services, we are hiring two full-time developers to our Environmental Data Science & Informatics team.
- Contribute to and help drive the design, architecture and implementation of a cloud-based data platform for NIVA
- Drive development of new digital services within and across both NIVA and external user bases
- Contributing to delivering on digital infrastructure projects like the ones mentioned above, and where NIVA plays a central role
- Work on data integrity, prepare, analyze and facilitate use of data by NIVA’s researchers (incl. data wrangling)
This will be a team effort where the successful candidate will work closely with colleagues in the environmental data science section and researchers and technicians across NIVA’s research domains.
We recognize that people take lots of different paths to becoming skilled developers. A MSc degree would be helpful, but other relevant experience will be considered.
A good command of English is also mandatory.
Documented knowledge, skills and experience in some of the following topics is desirable:
- Full-stack development on Linux/Unix platforms
- Public cloud deployment, including containerization and orchestration with Kubernetes
- Databases (relational and others), data architecture and data modelling
- GitHub, Git or other version control systems
- Event-driven data processing pipelines, e.g. Apache Kafka, RabbitMQ or similar
- Security related to (web) solutions, apps and APIs exposed externally, cloud infrastructure, authentication and authorization
- Web development with frameworks such as React, Vue, etc
- Environmental or applied sciences
- Statistics and machine learning
We are looking for an passionate, goal-oriented candidate with good communication skills, who wishes to work in a broad, interdisciplinary and international research group with colleagues from a range of different backgrounds. More specifically, we are looking for candidates with a “hacker mindset” who are eager to learn new technologies and who find pleasure in finding and implementing solutions to hard problems and share knowledge with others.
By joining NIVA you’ll be part of an enthusiastic team of developers, data scientists and data engineers in a company with established expertise in the water domain.
- You’ll participate in exciting research and development projects at the intersection of environmental research, software development and data science, and you’ll have the opportunity to participate in designing and building NIVA’s next generation data platform and products.
- You’ll also have the chance to play a part in protecting our waters for the future!
We recognize that the most effective teams consist of talented people with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. NIVA is committed to fostering an inclusive and welcoming working environment, and ensuring equal employment opportunity regardless of ethnicity, nationality, gender identity, family status, disability and sexual orientation.
- The opportunity of working towards creating a better future
- Challenging tasks at the leading national water research institute with a comprehensive international network of contacts
- Stimulating work environment with capable and dedicated employees
- An opportunity for professional and personal development
- New and modern research facilities centrally located in Oslo
- Competitive conditions and salaries, pension plans and insurance benefits
Applicants might be evaluated and contacted before the application deadline.
Webcruiter ID: 4311341056
- Kristoffer Kalbekken (Forskningsleder), +47 900 66 149