Professor / associate professor in mechanical engineering
Deadline for applications: 29.01.2019
OsloMet - Oslo Metropolitan University is Norway’s third largest university, with more than 20,000 students and over 2000 employees. We conduct research in areas that are important for welfare and value creation, for instance health, education, social sciences, technology and design. OsloMet has an academic stimulating environment with a variety of welfare schemes.
The Faculty of Technology Art and Design consists of five departments and has about 3000 students and nearly 250 members of staff. More information about the Faculty can be found here.
The faculty aims to establish a PhD program in Engineering Science, and a new multi-disciplinary Master’s program. This is in conjunction with the establishment of a research and development collaboration between OsloMet and the Simula Research Laboratory.
The Department of Mechanical, Electrical and Chemical Engineering (MEK) has a vacancy for a professor/ associate professor in Mechanical engineering.
More information about the Department MEK and the Faculty TKD can be found here.
Extensive research is conducted at the department, and several research groups have been established, participating in national and international research projects.
We are looking for a candidate with a talent and a passion for teaching, research, and innovation. Candidates will be expected to have conducted extensive research in the field of mechanical engineering. The research should be reflected in an extensive publication list in high impact journals and conferences. Experience from research and development work in the industry will also be considered an advantage.
The candidate is expected to actively strengthen and shape the academic and research work at the department and to build the research activities within mechanical engineering. The candidate is further expected to contribute and strengthen the university's research community in general, including interdisciplinary work across departments at the Faculty of Technology, Art and Design, as well as in collaboration with other faculties at OsloMet.
The candidate will be expected to initiate and secure external funding for new research activities within the scope mechanical engineering as well as in our PhD, master and bachelor programs. Extensive experience with applying and securing external funding from e.g. the Norwegian Research Council and EU is a requirement for this position, in addition to academic excellence.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Planning, developing and delivering courses at PhD, Master, and Bachelor level, including teaching, supervision, and assessment.
- The candidate will contribute in building up a new master and will also contribute to the newly established PhD in Engineering Science.
- Initiating and leading applications for external funding for research in mechanical engineering and related fields.
- Initiating and conducting research within mechanical engineering as well as facilitating the funding and recruitment of PhD candidates.
- Actively contributing to the development of high-quality education.
- Actively contributing to the development of the department and of OsloMet as a whole.
- Communicating and disseminating research results for both academic and broader audience.
- Performing administrative tasks related to educational, research, and innovation activities.
The required qualifications for the position are as follows:
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering
- Background and expertise in piping design, hydraulic machinery and equipment
- Comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of digital solutions used within piping and hydraulic systems
- Academic excellence and documented high quality research work within the field of mechanical engineering
- Extensive experience with initiating and managing research projects, including a solid track record of securing external funding for research
- Extensive experience from international research Experience in teaching and supervision in higher education
- Experience in collaborating with, or direct experience from, the industry is an advantage
- Documented strong leadership experience from excellent research groups
- Fluency in English is a requirement. In addition, the candidate is expected to acquire a working command of Norwegian within three years of being appointed.
General criteria for appointment of a position as Professor are stipulated in Regulations relating to Appointment and Promotion to Teaching and Research Positions (Forskrift om ansettelse og opprykk i undervisnings- og forskerstillinger) § 1-2, see details in Norwegian.
Candidates who have no relevant qualifications in pedagogy at the time of appointment must commit themselves to complete OsloMet’s programme for basic pedagogical competence (15 ECTS credits) within two years.
The university will test pedagogical skills in connection with a personal interview.
Emphasis is also placed on the following skills:
- The ability to motivate and inspire students and colleagues
- Excellent cooperation and communication skills
- Inquisitiveness, and a keenness to develop as an academic leader
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt teaching and research to the needs of OsloMet and the department, including interdisciplinary collaboration
- The ability to build communities and networks, research projects, and to demonstrate fresh thinking and innovation
- Experience with and interest in technology transfer, innovation and patents, as well as digital and innovative educational techniques and practices.
It is important for OsloMet to reflect the population of our region, and all qualified candidates are welcome to apply. We make active efforts to further develop as an inclusive workplace and to adapt the workplace if required.
An expert committee will assess applicants. You must upload the following documents together with your application by the final date for applications:
- CV (including teaching and supervision experience and the name and contact information of at least three references)
- full list of publications
- copies of certificates/diplomas (including formal education in pedagogics, if applicable)
- up to fifteen full-text scientific articles, submitted together with a table of contents and a short introduction highlighting the relevance of each article to the profile of the position
- academic documents including your PhD dissertation
- a text (up to 2 pages) outlining the candidate’s relevant pedagogical experience and plans for pedagogical activity and development in the position (“teaching statement”)
- a text (up to 2 pages) outlining the candidate’s relevant research and plans for research activity in the position (“research statement”)
- other relevant documentation
You must upload all of these documents. Original documents and valid passport must be presented if you are invited for an interview. OsloMet performs document inspections in order to give you as a candidate a proper evaluation and ensure fair competition.
If you have documents that cannot be uploaded electronically, please contact [email protected]
Please indicate clearly if you are applying for a professor or associate professor position.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
We can offer you
- An exciting job opportunity at Norway’s third largest and most urban university
- Opportunity to be a part of a dynamic professional environment and unique academic network
Beneficial pension arrangements with the Norwegian State Pension Fund Good employee welfare arrangements Free Norwegian language classes to employees and their partners Relocation support, cultural courses and on boarding services Working location in downtown Oslo with multiple cultural offers
OsloMet’s International Career Site gives information on living and working in Oslo.
If you would like more information about the positon, feel free to contact:
- Head of Department Astrid Oust Janbu, e-mail [email protected] phone +47 91 51 43 26.
The salary for the position is in accordance with the pay for state employees: job code 1013 professor, NOK 695 500 – 893 900, job code 1011 associated professor 524 200 – 682 200.
A higher salary may be considered for particularly well-qualified applicants. Law deducts 2% of the salary to the State Pension Fund.
If you wish to apply for the position, please apply electronically by clicking the button at the bottom of the page.
Deadline for applications: 29.01.2019
OsloMet has implemented the Charter & Code and been certified by the EU Commission with HR Excellence in Research (HRS4R) and is part of the EU network for mobility of Researchers Euraxess.