LEDIG STILLING PÅ UNIVERSITETET I SØRØST-NORGE
Associate Professor in microsystem technology
University of South-Eastern Norway
The University of South-Eastern Norway, USN, is one of Norway’s largest higher education institutions, with around 18,000 students and 1,900 employees across eight different campuses.
We offer studies, research and knowledge dissemination, all targeting various professions and working life and with a high level of quality internationally. Our goal as a University is to create value both for the individual student and for business and commerce, the public sector and society in general. We achieve this by utilising the best tools we have: education and research.
USN is a University with a strong social commitment where studies and working life are integrated. At USN, we focus on practice-relevant, profession-oriented and applied research and education.
The students shall benefit from innovative educational methods and challenging studies closely associated with society's requirements and needs. They will learn how to adapt to a society and working life that is constantly changing. The University shall meet major social challenges with knowledge and expertise, helping to promote practical solutions, structural changes and new ways of thinking. USN’s academic activities shall be embodied by a clear dedication to the UN’s sustainable development goals. The University aims to realise this main profile in close cooperation with society and working life.
For more information on USN, please go to www.usn.no
The Faculty of Technology, Natural Sciences and Maritime Sciences have a vacancy for a full-time post as Associate Professor in microsystem tecnology
About the position
The Faculty of Technology, Natural Sciences and Maritime Sciences has a vacancy for a full-time post as an Associate Professor in microsystem technology.
The post relates to the Department of Microsystems, and the immediate superior is the Head of the Department. The main place of work is currently campus Vestfold in Horten.
Responsibilities and duties
The candidate is expected to carry out teaching within existing and future microsystem courses at the Department of Microsystems at all educational levels. Teaching at all levels of the educational cycle within your department, and at other departments, may be required.
For the university, distance learning and e-learning are target areas, and the candidate must therefore be able to provide supervision and teaching via digital media.
The candidate is expected to be a professional initiative-taker within microsystem technology with emphasis on microelectromechanical-systems (MEMS) devices and contribute to the development of national and international networks including external industry partners. As an Associate Professor at the University of South-Eastern Norway, you will be assigned responsibility for research, research management and supervision in strategic areas within the university’s network of researchers
For appointment as an Associate Professor, a Norwegian doctoral degree is also required within microsystem technology, nano technology, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics or an equivalent foreign doctoral degree that has been approved as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree or similar level of competence documented by means of scientific work of the same scope and quality.
The following competence is desired:
- Good competence in MEMS fabricaiton-technology and process characterization tools with hands-on experience.
- Good competence in actuator (piezoelectric, electrostatic, thermal, magnetic etc.) and sensing principles (piezoelectric, capacitive, piezoresistive, acoustic, optical etc.) utilized in a microsystem.
- Good competence in MEMS device design combining analytical with numerical calculations.
- Hands-on experience of functional MEMS device testing from one or several application areas such as, but not limited to, inertial sensors, pressure sensors, optical sensors, resonators, micro-acoustic devices and ultrasound transducers.
- Some knowledge of MEMS interface electronics.
- Some knowledge of MEMS packaging and integration technology
The candidate must have the ability to work independently and at the same time have the motivation to share knowledge and take part in team work. Personal suitability for the position will be emphasised.
As classes are held in Norwegian, the candidate must be able to teach in one of the Scandinavian languages (Norwegian, Swedish or Danish) in addition to English. Alternatively, a required level of Scandinavian language competence should be reached within three years.
Applicants must also document educational competence in line with the guidelines in the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts.
Requirements for documentation of educational competence
Teaching at the university shall be based on research, in terms of both teaching practice and content. As such, we aim to recruit teachers who have experience from and demonstrate the motivation to focus on the development of teaching practice and the interaction between teaching and research, in order to promote learning.
In accordance with the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research post, the University of South-Eastern Norway has established requirements that applicants for the posts of Associate Professor must be able to document skills in university and university college level pedagogy, subject didactics and digital competencies.
On this basis, it is assumed that applicants can document educational skills through successfully completed university-level educational programmes of study or equivalent courses with a minimum of 200 hours of work and that they have developed fundamental skills in planning, implementing, evaluation and development of teaching and supervision at a university or university college level.
Alternatively, documentation is required to demonstrate the candidate’s own practice as a teacher, academic supervisor and educational supervisor in higher education, combined with relevant educational programmes, courses and seminars and documentation of acquired basic skills in planning, implementing, evaluating and developing teaching and supervision.
For applicants assessed primarily on the basis of their practice, there is an experience requirement within teaching, academic and educational supervision that corresponds to a portion of a full-time position in higher education corresponding to two years.
Candidates who do not meet the requirements upon hiring are obliged to meet them within two years after being hired for the position. The two-year rule does not apply when applying for a promotion.
Applicants who do not have educational qualifications of this kind may be appointed on the condition that they qualify within two (2) years. [Courses in university and university college level pedagogy will be offered.]
When assessing applicants, emphasis will be placed on
- Scientific and educational qualifications.
- Professional competence and scientific production within microsystem technology.
- Publication in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Teaching experience and competence within microsystem technology.
- Ability to obtain external funds.
- Research management, participation and research projects and research dissemination.
- Experience from research-driven innovation and industry collaboration.
- Experience from international research mobility.
- Other relevant competence.
- Personal suitability and motivation for the post.
- Exciting and educational academic environment with stimulating work.
- Individual competence plan and good opportunities for competence and career development for all employees.
- Inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues.
- Good pension scheme and favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- Employee benefits, including opportunity to exercise during working hours.
Associate Professor (Førsteamanuensis) (position code 1011) and Associate Professor (førstelektor) (position code 1198): LT 66-78 NOK 597,000 – 768,500 per year. In special circumstances, higher salaries may be considered.
Salary grade according to seniority and competence. Statutory amounts for the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund will be deducted from salary.
The person appointed must comply with the laws, regulations and agreements that apply at any given time to the post.
The appointing body is the appointments committee for teaching and research posts at the University of South-Eastern Norway. [An expert committee will assess the applications.] Based on the committee’s recommendations, relevant applicants will be invited to an interview and a trial lecture.
The person appointed must comply with the laws, regulations and agreements that apply at any given time to the post.
According to our human resources policy, it is our aim that our employees, to the fullest extent possible, shall reflect the diversity of the general population. We therefore encourage all qualified candidates to apply for the post. We endeavor to further develop as an inclusive workplace and to adapt your workplace if required. You are also welcome to apply for a position with us if you have experienced periods where you have not been in employment, education or training.
[The Department has few women/men appointed in scientific positions, and women/men are therefore particularly encouraged to apply.]
Pursuant to section 25, 2nd paragraph of the Freedom of Information Act, information on the applicant may be disclosed even if the applicant has requested not be included on the list of applicants. Applicants will be notified if such requests are not allowed.
For more information about the position, please contact:
- Head of Department/Professor Einar Halvorsen, email/phone: [email protected] / +47 31 00 93 18
For questions regarding the recruitment process, please contact:
- HR Advisor Kari L. Foss-Pedersen, [email protected]
How to apply
The University of South-Eastern Norway makes use of online application management. Applicants to the post must register their application and CV with enclosures online via the Jobbnorge recruitment portal by clicking on the link on the right-hand side - “Søk stillingen” (Apply for the post).
The following documents shall be attached to the online application:
- Certified copies of diplomas from a university college/university and certificates.
- Scientific publications (up to 10 for applicants for Associate Professor (førsteamanuensis/førstelektor).
- List of scientific publications.
- Applicants who have completed their own university pedagogy course corresponding to a minimum of 200 hours must enclose a certificate of completed course/examination along with a curriculum plan or a description of the course and appurtenant topics/themes.
- Basic skills in planning, implementing, evaluating and developing of teaching and supervision must be documented in the form of a systematic and holistic overview.
- Other applicants must describe, assess and document their competence as teachers, mentors and educational supervisors through a systematic and holistic overview. At USN, the pedagogical portfolio is used. Please read more about the documents that should be included in the pedagogical portfolio in USN’s criteria for assessing educational competence for employment and promotion.
- Contact information for three references.
Please note that all documents must be in a Scandinavian language or in English. Any translations must be certified.
Click here to read more about the recruitment process for scientific posts at the University of South-Eastern Norway.
Each applicant is responsible for ensuring that the requested documentation has been uploaded with the application within the application deadline!
The University has been awarded a Charter & Code certificate by the European Commission, and is entitled to use the HR Excellence in Research (HRS4R) logo. The University is also a member of the EURAXESS network, which contributes to good working conditions for mobile researchers.