Ledig stilling ved NMBU
Associate professor within Applied Mathematics
About the position
The Faculty of Science and Technology (REALTEK) at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) has a vacant full-time and permanent position as Associate professor within Applied Mathematics.
Norwegian University of Life Sciences
NMBU has a special responsibility for research and education that ensures the basis of life for future generations.
Sustainability is rooted in everything we do and we provide knowledge for life.
NMBU has 1700 employees and 5200 students and is organized in seven faculties. NMBU has a campus in Ås and in Oslo. In the autumn of 2020 we are co-located on Ås. Further information on NMBU is available at www.nmbu.no.
The Faculty of Science and Technology has 130 employees, about 1,100 students and about 70 PhD students. The Faculty offers bachelor, master and doctoral degrees in natural sciences and engineering in the fields of environmental physics and renewable energy, building and architecture, water and environmental technology, machine-, process and product development, robotics geomatics, data science and educational sciences. The workplace is in Ås, 30 km from Oslo.
The position is afiliated with the section of Applied Mathematics. The section is responsible for the teaching of all the regular mathematics courses at NMBU. The curriculum consists of courses at the bachelor-, master- and PhD-level.
Mathematical modeling plays an important role in the exploration of complex biological and engineering systems. NMBU has a special need for research competence in advanced mathematics and a specific wish to develop the teaching and the research in mathematical modeling of biological and engineering processes.
TeachingThe successful candidate is expected to
- teach all existing mathematics courses at the basic and intermediate level
- take active part in the development of the curriculum
- teach courses at the master and Ph.D level
- supervise master and Ph.D students in her /his speciality
- carry out regular administrative tasks.
Mathematical modeling plays an important role in the exploration of complex biological and engineering systems. NMBU has a special need for research competence in advanced mathematics and a specific wish to develop the teaching and the research in mathematical modeling of biological and engineering processes. Dynamical systems, partial differential equations, integral equations, ill-posed problems, numerical methods and optimization play key roles in research activities in the section of Applied Mathematics. REALTEK therefore wishes to hire an expert in applied and computational mathematics covering one or more of these fields. Applicants with documented research on dynamical systems will be given preference. REALTEK is seeking an expert who combines the in-depth competence in this branch of mathematics with experience in usage of modern computer technology to solve mathematical modeling problems.
In order to complement and strengthen the mathematical foundation of the research and education at our faculty, the successful applicant is expected to work with applied topics associated with the master programs offered by REALTEK.
Requirements to educational background and experience
The successful candidate must at least have:
- A PhD degree in applied mathematics.
- A publication record of papers published in mathematical journals
- Fluency in written and spoken Scandinavian language (Norwegian, Swedish or Danish).
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Documented relevant practical pedagogical expertise based on education or teaching and supervision. Applicants without formal training in pedagogics commit to, within two years, to complete the NMBU course in university teaching.
We will put emphasis on the following competences, in prioritized order, in the assessment of the applicants:
1. Documented research competence on dynamical systems and computational mathematics.
2. Research and practical experience with partial differential equations, integral equations, ill-posed problems, numerical methods and optimization.
3. Communication and collaboration skills.
4. Modeling of engineering and biological systems.
5. Teaching and supervision experience.
6. Ability to obtain research funds from external sources.
Besides scientific expertise, we put emphasis on teaching experience, pedagogical and administrative expertise.
Remuneration and information
The position is placed in government pay scale position code 1011 Associate Professor, wage framework 24, salary grade 65-77 (NOK 583 900 - 741 300), depending on qualifications. Seniority Promotion in position.
For further information, please contact:
- Professor John Wyller (acting section manager), E-mail: [email protected], phone +47 67231632
NMBU wants more women in permanent academic positions. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply for this job' button above. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Application deadline: 01.12.2019
Up to ten publications selected by the applicant as most relevant must be attached to the application. If it is difficult to identify the contribution of the applicant in multiple-author publications, a short explanation about the applicant’s part of the work is suggested.
Printed material which cannot be sent electronically should be sent by surface mail to Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Faculty of Science and Technology, P.O. Box 5003, NO-1432 Ås, within 01.12.2019. Please quote reference number 19/04242
Applicants invited for an interview will be asked to present verified copies of diplomas and certificates.