LEDIG STILLING VED NMBU
Associate professor in Scientific Computing
Norwegian University of Life Sciences
NMBU has a particular responsibility for research and education that secures the basis for the life of future generations. Sustainability is rooted in everything we do and we deliver knowledge for life.
NMBU has 1,900 employees of which about 300 phd scholarships and 6,700 students. The university is divided into seven faculties.NMBU believes that a good working environment is characterised by diversity.
We encourage qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender, functional ability, cultural background or whether you have been outside the labour market for a period. If necessary, workplace adaptations will be made for persons with disabilities.
More information about NMBU is available at www.nmbu.no.
About The Faculty of Science and Technology
The Faculty of Science and Technology (REALTEK) develops research-based knowledge and educates civil engineers and lecturers needed to reach the UN's sustainability goals. We have approximately 150 employees, 70 PhD students and soon 1500 students. The education and research at REALTEK cover a broad spectrum of disciplines.
This includes data science, mechanics and process engineering, robotics, construction and architecture, industrial economics, environmental physics and renewable energy, geomatics, water and environmental engineering, applied mathematics as well as secondary school teacher education in natural sciences and use of natural resources such as in agriculture, forestry and aquaculture. The workplace is in Ås, 30 km from Oslo.
We seek a highly motivated scientist and academic teacher to strengthen scientific computing research as well as programming and software engineering education.
About the position
A permanent position as associate professor in Scientific Computing is available at the Department of Data Science at the Faculty of Science and Technology (REALTEK).
At REALTEK, you will meet highly motivated students and a vibrant research environment across a wide range of engineering disciplines from physics and data sciences via robotics, process and mechanical engineering, to geomatics, water treatment and construction as well as architecture. We also train high school science teachers. Scientific computing activities at REALTEK currently comprise data science, modeling of future materials, finite element methods in engineering and large-scale brain simulation.
We are looking for a candidate to complement and extend research activities in scientific computing in areas related to active research fields at REALTEK and NMBU and to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in programming, software engineering and scientific computing. Supervision of MSc and PhD candidates in these fields will be an important part of the position.
REALTEK offers new academic staff an on-boarding package including priority when distributing university-funded PhD positions and NOK 50.000 in start-up funding.
For details about NMBU, the Faculty of Science and Technology, the Department of Data Science, as well as about detailed requirements for this position, please see the Additional Information for Applicants.
- Strengthen and expand scientific computing research at REALTEK in areas relating to active research fields at REALTEK and NMBU
- Teach and evolve courses in programming, software engineering and scientific computing at the undergraduate and graduate level
- Supervise master and doctoral students
- Establish your own research projects and attract funding from national and international sources
- Establish interdisciplinary collaborations on and beyond campus
- Participate in academic administration and the continuous development of our study programs and research activities
Required academic qualifications:
- Doctoral degree in a relevant field, preferably informatics/computer science, data science, physics, chemistry, mathematics or statistics
- Solid research achievements in scientific computing and software development documented through peer-reviewed publications in international journals or conference proceedings
- Documented educational competence at the level required for associate professor appointments including a description of
- pedagogical qualifications (university pedagogics training of at least 200 hours)
- experience in teaching, pedagogics and tutoring
- basic skills in planning, implementation, evaluation and development of teaching and supervision
If you do not fulfill some of these requirements at present, you will be required to meet them within two years of employment.
Desired academic qualifications:
- Experience in international and interdisciplinary research projects
- Experience in developing software with a wider user community
- Teaching experience in computing, especially programming with a software carpentry approach
- Experience in supervising master and doctoral students
- Successful acquisition and management of external funding
- Experience in academic administration
Required language skills:
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Ability to teach courses in Norwegian within two years of employment (minimum proficiency level B2); fluency in Norwegian, Swedish or Danish is an advantage.
Required personal skills:
- Ability to engage students and colleagues
Personal suitability for the position will be emphasized.
NMBU aims to build a more diverse and gender-balanced staff. We therefore encourage women in particular to apply.
Remuneration and further information
The position is placed in government pay scale position code 1011 Associate Professor, wage framework 24, salary grade 68–77 (NOK 626.100–752.800), depending on qualifications. You can apply for promotion to full professor according to national standards.
Pursuant to the Personal Data Act, we will hereby notify you that the report of the expert committee will be sent to all applicants.
For further information, please contact:
- Professor Hans Ekkehard Plesser, Department Head Data Science, e-mail: [email protected]; phone: +47 6723 1560.
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply for this job' button above. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Application deadline: 15.02.2022
Applicants invited for an interview will be asked to present verified copies of diplomas and certificates.
Your application must contain
- an application letter describing your motivation for and suitability to the position
- a CV including a list of publications
- a teaching portfolio describing your educational competence and experience according to NMBU's guidelines
- a research plan
- an overview of software projects you have contributed to, preferably with links to code
- up to ten publications including a description of your contribution to multi-author papers.