Ledig stilling ved Universitetet i Bergen
Researcher (Department of Clinical Science)
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
At the Faculty of Medicine, Department of Clinical Science, a temporary (100 %) position as researcher is available for eight (8) months. The position is external financed by the Norwegian Research Council and a part of the project “Characterizing and modulating the insulin-producing beta-cell fate in monogenic diabetes by using novel genetic setups”.
About the project/work tasks:
The main objective is to characterize the cellular and molecular basis of the gradual failure of insulin-producing beta-cells in diabetes by two novel transgenic models allowing specific in-vivo cell-fate follow-up and modulation. Specifically, the projects aims to:
(1) Define the cellular mechanisms associated with beta-cell failure by combining the murine MODY3 models with transgenic lines allowing complex inducible genetic-cell tracing (tam-inducible, tetON systems);
(2) Determine the molecular mechanisms defining each murine MODY model by performing the dynamic transcriptional profile of sorted beta-cells from isolated islets and other involved cell populations;
(3) Delaying or reversing the progressive beta-cell decay in complex diabetes models by pharmacological and genetic modulations.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- the applicant must hold a relevant PhD or equivalent doctoral degree.
- the applicant must hold a FELASA valid certificate allowing working with animals in Norway.
- the applicant must have more than 4 years documented postdoctoral experience in working with conditional inducible transgenic mice models of diabetes.
- the successful applicant must have documented experience with genetic cell-fate tracing techniques, tamoxifen-inducible multiple transgenic setups, pancreatic islet isolation, drug administration in diabetic mice, complex transgenic breeding setups, immunofluorescence, confocal microscopy and islet morphometry.
- researchers who have experience with TetON transgenic systems for gene overexpression in diabetes as well as documented experience with islet xeno-transplantations in immunosuppressed mice are particularly welcome to apply for this position
- the applicant must be experienced in counseling, teaching, writing manuscripts and preferentially also grant applications
- personal skills, including abilities to work independently and cooperate within a research group will be evaluated
- the candidate must be fluent in written and oral English
- experience with international collaboration is an important advantage
- the applicant must be motivated and responsible, and also have a great work capacity and enthusiasm for research
We can offer:
- a good and challenging work environment in research front of diabetes research
- salary at level 59 - 62 (code 1109/salary scale 24.3 – 24.6), currently NOK 49600-518 500 gross p.a. for a fulltime position; following ordinary meriting regulations.
- a good pension scheme in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- inclusive workplace (IW)
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief letter of application stating your motivation for the position, why you are applying and why this position is perfect for you
- an overview of your education and work experience (CV)
- witnessed copies of diplomas and relevant certificates (applicants with education from other countries than Norway must enclose diplomas in both the original language and authorized translations)
- publications and academic work (max 10) and a list of these
- your PhD thesis (in PDF)
- two referees (name and contact information)
- It is very important that each of the scholarly works on which the committee should place special emphasis, is attached in its entirety.
The following premise forms the basis for the post as research scientist:
- the researcher will be a member of the research group of which the topic/project belongs to
- the salary shall if possible be 100 % covered by external financing
- the researcher shall actively contribute to attract external funding to the research project, both for her/his own position and other positions, from the Research Council of Norway, EU and other sources
- the researcher is expected to have her/his research activity financed by the project of the researcher and the projects of the associated research group
- the Head of Department may allocate work for the Researcher related to specific research projects
- the researcher may participate in committee work and other administrative tasks within the University of Bergen
- the researcher has no teaching duties, but is expected to supervise master students and PhD candidates when this is a natural part of the research activity of the research group
- the researcher may apply for competence promotion according to the regulations for promotions
For further information about the project and the position, please contact:
- Associate Professor Simona Chera e-mail [email protected], / +47 55 97 1262
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principles of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named in the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.