Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Principal Engineer in Molecular Biology and Nanoparticles
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest rated institution of research and education with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. Its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally esteemed research communities make UiO an important contributor to society.
Department of Biosciences (IBV) is one of nine departments at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Research in the department is organised in five sections covering topics within biochemistry, molecular biology, physiology, cell biology, genetics, aquatic biology, toxicology, ecology, and evolutionary biology. Education across these topics is offered for around 380 bachelor, 170 master, and 75 PhD students. With 52 permanent professors/associate professors, post-docs, researchers, technical, and administrative personnel, the Department has a total staff of 340 from more than 30 different countries. The Department aims to maintain high international standards within both research and teaching. The new bachelor program in bioscience is the first of its kind to include programming and computational modelling as core elements.
About the position
This is a 50% temporary position to support the project BEDPAN (funded by the Research Council of Norway).
We are looking for an engineer to generate bacterial strains using molecular biology methods, to produce metal nanoparticles in bacteria, and to generate other types of project-related samples, e.g. purified proteins or electron microscopy samples.
The project ends 30 June 2023.
- Bachelor degree in Molecular Biology or related fields is required, Master’s degree desirable. Relevant work experience can replace the education requirement.
- A successful candidate must have hands-on experience with microbiology methodology (sterile work, growth of bacteria) and with molecular biology methods (PCR, cloning). The candidate must be familiar and comfortable with the use and disposal of hazardous chemicals (specifically heavy metals).
- It is desirable that the candidate also has hands-on experience with protein purification (fermentation, chromatography). It is also desirable that the candidate is experienced in using the laboratory documentation software “LabFolder”.
- Proficient in English (written and oral), and ideally also in Norwegian
- It is important for the project that the candidate is available as soon as possible, and until the end of the project (30.6.2023).
We are looking for a candidate who is
- Well-organized and able to work both independently and in a team
- Experienced in written documentation of experiments
- Able and happy to work in an international, multi-lingual research team
- Salary NOK 468 300 – 524 900 per annum depending on qualifications in a position as (Principal Engineer), position code (1085)
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include:
- Cover letter
- CV (complete overview of education and work experience)
- Copies of educational certificates, transcript of records and if available, letters of recommendation
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (names, relation to candidate and telephone number)
Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
Inclusion and diversity are a strength. The University of Oslo has a personnel policy objective of achieving a
balanced gender composition. We also want to have employees with diverse expertise, combinations of subjects, life experience and perspectives. We will make adjustments for employees who require this.
If there are qualified applicants with special needs, gaps in their CVs or immigrant backgrounds, we will invite at least one applicant in each of these groups to an interview.
- Prof. Dirk Linke, phone: +47 228 57654, e-mail: [email protected]
For questions regarding the recruitment system please contact HR adviser Nina Holtan, phone: +47 228 54424, e-mail: [email protected].